Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP Glossary
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





“OLD MAIN” CAMROSE LUTHERAN COLLEGE

Camrose

Other Names:
(Old Main) Lutheran College
Camrose Lutheran College
Old Main
Old Main Building
Old Main Building, Camrose Lutheran College

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place


Heritage Value


Character-Defining Elements


Location



Street Address: 4901 - 46 Avenue
Community: Camrose
Boundaries: Portion of Plan 3605 U, Block B
Contributing Resources:

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
4
20
46
34
11 (ptn.)

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel
3605 U
B
N/A


Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
53.011652 -112.824159 GPS NAD 83

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Province of Alberta
Designation Status: Registered Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 1977/06/13

Historical Information

Built: 1910/01/01 To 1910/01/01
Significant Date(s) N/A
Theme(s)
Historic Function(s): Education : Post-Secondary Institution
Current Function(s):
Architect:
Builder:
Context: HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE

Camrose Lutheran College was founded in 1910 and its first building, Old Main, was completed by 1912. It was designed by Professor J.P. Tandberg, first principal of the college. The impressive exterior has retained its original charm and reflects a late Victorian neo-classical revival style. This is one of the earliest wood-construction post secondary institutions in Alberta.

Camrose Lutheran College is closely associated with a large settlement of Norwegians in the Camrose area. It is reportedly the first Norwegian Lutheran College established in Canada, and the only one in the province.

Chester Ronning, Canada's first ambassador to China, was a student in Old Main and principal from 1927 until 1942.

Additional Information

Object Number: 4665-0263
Designation File: Des. 211
Related Listing(s):
Heritage Survey File: HS 32949
Website Link:
Data Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 211)
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Search    Site Map    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2013 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility