Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





St. Laurence Anglican Church

Monitor

Other Names:
St. Lawrence Anglican Church

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place


Heritage Value


Character-Defining Elements


Location



Street Address:
Community: Monitor
Boundaries: Plan 3708 AP, Block 4, Lots 29 thru 31
Contributing Resources: N/A

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
4
4
35
6
11 (ptn.)

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel
3708 AP
3708 AP
3708 AP
4
4
4
31
30
29




Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
51.978626 -110.568721 GPS NAD 83

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Province of Alberta
Designation Status: Registered Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 1993/02/11

Historical Information

Built:
Significant Date(s)
Theme(s)
Historic Function(s): Religion, Ritual and Funeral : Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Current Function(s):
Architect:
Builder:
Context: HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE

The village of Monitor sits on the Red Deer Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway, forty kilometres from the Saskatchewan border. A railway section point, Monitor prospered after the turn of the century as the country east of Red Deer benefited from increased immigration and agrarian settlement.

In 1915 the English speaking residents of the town and surrounding area determined to erect a church building to house the Episcopalians who had been meeting in various accommodations for some years. Seven hundred came from the 'Old Country Friends' in England while 470 dollars were raised from the local congregation. The only tie on the overseas money was that the church be named after a sister church in the English countryside, explaining the use of the district spelling for 'Laurence'.

The church prospered in its new building, but only as long as the agricultural boom lasted. When the post-war recession spelled an end to agricultural prosperity in eastern Alberta and led to the depopulation of the area, churches, schools and other local institutions became redundant.

Like many sister churches, St. Laurence Anglican, which had served Methodist and Lutheran congregations as well, lost much of its congregation and the ability to sustain a full time minister. For fifty years St. Laurence Church was part of an Anglican circuit, switching between Saskatchewan and Alberta oriented diocese. The end came in 1972 when the parish was phased out completely, and like the McDougall church it became the scene of an annual commemorative service.

St. Laurence Anglican is an interesting, if typical example of similar Anglican churches throughout rural Alberta, and is a reminder of the first rather heady days of agricultural and settlement during the century's first twenty years.

Additional Information

Object Number: 4665-0625
Designation File: DES 1677
Related Listing(s): 4664-0202
Heritage Survey File: HS 36944
Website Link:
Data Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 1677)
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2020 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility