Logged in as user  [Login]  |
ARHP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Key Number: HS 11030
Site Name: Cousins Residence
Other Names:
Site Type: 0101 - Residential: Single Dwelling

Location

ATS Legal Description:
Twp Rge Mer
12 5 4


Address: 271 - 1 Street SE
Number: 71
Street: 1 SE
Avenue: 2 SE
Other:
Town: Medicine Hat
Near Town:

Media

Type Number Date View
Source

Architectural

Style:
Plan Shape: Rectangular Short Facade
Storeys: Storeys: 2 1/2
Foundation: Basement/Foundation Wall Material: Concrete
Superstructure: Nailed Frame
Superstructure Cover: Wood: Clapboard (Bevel or Drop Siding)
Roof Structure: Medium Gable
Roof Cover: Asphalt Shingle
Exterior Codes: Shutters
Massing of Units: Single Detached
Wings: Unknown
Number of Bays - Facade: First or Ground Floor, 4 Bays
Wall Design and Detail: Corner Board
Wall Design and Detail: Half-Timbering
Wall Design and Detail: Skirt-Roof
Wall Design and Detail: String or Belt Course
Wall Design and Detail: Entablature
Wall Design and Detail: Decorative Shingle
Roof Trim - Eaves: Projecting Eaves
Roof Trim - Eaves: Plain Fascia
Roof Trim - Eaves: Plain Soffit
Roof Trim - Eaves: Plain Frieze
Roof Trim Material - Eaves: Wood
Roof Trim - Verges: Projecting Verges
Roof Trim - Verges: Plain Fascia
Roof Trim - Verges: Plain Soffit
Roof Trim - Verges: Plain Frieze
Roof Trim Material - Verges: Wood
Towers, Steeples and Domes: None
Towers, Steeples and Domes Location-Front to Rear: None
Dormer Type: None
Chimney Location - Side to Side: Centre
Chimney Location - Side to Side: Offset Left
Chimney Location - Front to Rear: Offset Front
Chimney Stack Material: Brick
Chimney Stack Massing: Single
Roof Trim - Special Features: None
Window - Structural Opening Shape: Flat
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Continuous
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Material: Wood
Window - Sill Type: Plain Slip Sill
Window - Sill Material: Wood
Window - Trim Within Structural Opening - Head: None
Window - Trim Within Structural Opening - Head: Plain
Window - Trim Within Structural Opening - Sides: None
Window - Trim Within Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Window - Number of Sashes: Two, Double Hung
Window - Opening Mechanism: Single or Double Hung
Window - Special Types: Bay, Bow or Oriel
Window - Special Types: Bay or Bow, 2 or More Storeys
Window - Pane Arrangements: None
Main Entrance - Location: Off-Centre (Facade)
Main Entrance - Structural Opening Shape: Flat
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Continuous
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Shelf
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Sides: Moulded
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Sides: Panelled
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening Material: Wood
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Head: Plain
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Main Entrance - Number of Leaves: 1
Main Entrance - Number of Panels Per Leaf: 1
Main Entrance - Leaves - Special Feature: Vertical Board
Main Entrance - Leaves - Special Feature: Glass
Main Stairs - Location and Design: First or Ground Floor, Without Railing
Main Stairs - Location and Design: First or Ground Floor, Open Railing
Main Stairs - Direction: Straight
Main Porch - Type: Platform
Main Porch - Special Features: None
Main Porch - Material: Concrete
Main Porch - Height: First Storey
Exterior: Wooden shudders, decorative shingles and half timbering on gable ends (shingle work is bell cast) leaded glass work (N elevation) by window, (E elevation), corbelled brick chimney.
Interior: First floor - 6 rooms total - 3 bedrooms; second floor - 6 rooms total - 2 bedrooms.
Environment: Residential on main traffic corridor; lot size 75' wide x w 244.6 e. 188.7. Property Features: None
Condition: Good (1979). Structure: Good. Repair: Unknown. 15 APR 1983. Good (2004)
Alterations: Site: Original In 1913 a rather unsympathetic flat footed two storey wing was added immediately adjacent to the entrance wall. 1978 - Garage - permit #291.

Historical

Construction: Construction Date:
Construction Started ca.
1896/01/01
Usage: Usage Date:
Residence
Residence
Residence
1898/01/01
1912/01/01
1981/01/01
Owner: Owner Date:
W. Cousins
Grace Wendnah Cousins
Dr. Kenneth C. Sauer & Mrs. Valerie A. Sauer
Dr. & Mrs. Kenneth C. Sauer
1898/01/01
1938/11/23
1979/06/28
1982/11/29
Architect: N/A
Builder: N/A
Craftsman: N/A
History: Occupant 1909 - William Cousins (gentleman and city Mayor 1907-08).
Original address: 705 Esplanade.
Sales history: 1976, Jan. - $58,000.
1977, Aug. - $75,000.
1979, June - $110,000.

Building Description:
The Cousins House is a substantial two and one half storey gabled roofed structure of balloon frame construction shealthed with horizontal wooden siding. The entrance is located to one side of the front facade creating an asymmetrical effect which was magnified by the verandah that one dominated the face of this T shaped structure, but has now been removed. In 1912 a flat roofed two storey frame wing was added immeparticularlyacent to the entrance wall, but is not particulary sympathetic in massing or detailing.
Before 1905, the property was divided and a smaller house built to the south near a small log structure. The spare house occupied by the gardens and tennis courts have been subdivided and two houses built, one immediately after World War II and another in the early 1970's.

Historicderivesnificance:
associationnificance of these buildings derive from their assocation with prominent Medicine Hat businessman and municipal politician W. Cousins. He began his business career in this community in 1883, as one of its first general merchants. (The community of Medicine Hat was established in 1883, by the Canadian Pacific Railway). He continued to function as a general merchant until 1900, at which time he sold his business but retained ownership of his real estate holdings.
Initially he constructed his business operations from a wood frame store located on South Railway Street and resided in a cottage a block to the west of this store. In 1896, he constructed a new residence considerably west of Medicine Hat's expanding downtown commercial core. In 1897, he built his new 'stone store' on Toronto Avenuehousesconstituted a notable addition to Medicine Hat's central housers district since it utilized local stone and brick.
Cousins' retirement from business life lasted for only four years. By November, 1904, he slid into real estate develoholdingsn a full time basis. In addition to his small but profitable hodings in the central Medicine Hat, Cousings was also one of a number of individuals involved in the development of subdivisions adjacent to the original townsite during the 1906 to 1912 real estate boom. He was also a major land developer in other Prairie Communities such as Taber, Irvine and Saskatoon. The recession which began in 1912 brought his career as an effective businessman to an end.
His involvement in local politics covered the years 1907 and 1908 during which time he served as Mayor of the now established Cityinitialdicine Hat. His years as mayor proved to be frustrating despite his inital enthusiasm for the job. His interest was designated by his annoyance at the lack of interest shown in municipal politics by the populace and by 'unfair' criticism from the local press. He retired from local politics in December, 1908 in order to devote his full attention to his land development projects.
In 1913 a rather unsympathetic flat footed two storey wing was added immediately adjacent to the entrance wall. This addition and the removal of the verandah have radically altered the structure's appearance, but it was none the less one of the grand homes of Medicine Hat of its period.

Internal

Status: Status Date:
Active
Active
Active
Active

1979/01/01
1983/04/15
2004/06/07
Designation Status: Designation Date:
Provincial Historic Resource
1982/11/29
Register:
Record Information: Record Information Date:
T. Gilev 1997/10/06

Links

Internet:
Alberta Register of Historic Places: 4665-0492
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2020 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility