Logged in as user  [Login]  |
ARHP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Key Number: HS 16753
Site Name: Crawford House
Other Names:
Site Type: 0101 - Residential: Single Dwelling

Location

ATS Legal Description:
Twp Rge Mer
12 5 4


Address: 9 - 1 Street SW
Number: 9
Street: 1 SW
Avenue: N/A
Other:
Town: Medicine Hat
Near Town:

Media

Type Number Date View
Source

Architectural

Style: Queen Anne
Plan Shape: Square
Storeys: Storeys: 2
Foundation: Basement/Foundation Wall Material: Stone
Superstructure: Nailed Frame
Superstructure Cover: Brick Veneer
Roof Structure: Medium Hip
Roof Cover: Wood
Exterior Codes: Massing of Units: Single Detached
Wings: Unknown
Wings: Rear
Wall Design and Detail: Skirt-Roof
Wall Design and Detail: Balcony
Wall Design and Detail: Balconet
Wall Design and Detail: Upper Storey Door
Roof Trim - Eaves: Plain Fascia
Roof Trim Material - Eaves: Wood
Roof Trim - Verges: Projecting Verges
Roof Trim - Verges: Decorated Fascia
Roof Trim - Verges: Corbelled Cornice
Chimney Location - Side to Side: Offset Right
Chimney Location - Front to Rear: Offset Front
Chimney Stack Material: Brick
Chimney Stack Material: Metal
Chimney Stack Massing: Single
Window - Structural Opening Shape: Segmental
Window - Structural Opening Shape: Semi-Elliptical
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Plain Flat
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Other
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Sides: None
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Material: Brick
Window - Sill Type: Plain Lug Sill
Window - Sill Material: Concrete
Window - Trim Within Structural Opening - Head: Plain
Window - Trim Within Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Window - Number of Sashes: Two, Double Hung
Window - Opening Mechanism: Single or Double Hung
Window - Special Types: Round
Window - Pane Arrangements: Other
Main Entrance - Location: Off-Centre (Facade)
Main Entrance - Structural Opening Shape: Flat
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: None
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Plain Flat
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening Material: Brick
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Head: Flat Transom, Multiple Lights
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Main Entrance - Number of Leaves: 2
Main Entrance - Number of Panels Per Leaf: 3
Main Entrance - Leaves - Special Feature: Shaped Panel
Main Entrance - Leaves - Special Feature: Carved or Decorated
Main Entrance - Leaves - Special Feature: Glass
Main Stairs - Location and Design: First or Ground Floor, Open Railing
Main Stairs - Direction: Straight
Main Stairs - Direction: Straight Side
Main Porch - Type: Open Verandah
Main Porch - Special Features: Piers
Main Porch - Special Features: Doric Capital
Main Porch - Special Features: Open Railing
Main Porch - Special Features: Decorated
Main Porch - Material: Wood
Main Porch - Height: First Storey
Exterior: Open verandah, balcony with columns and rail; decorative cornice and frieze, recessed panelling, corbelled chimney, round window (north elevation), voussoirs, lug sills.
The Crawford residence is a two and one half storey hipped roof brick building. There is a two storey bay window projecting from the right corner of the facade (facing the building) at a 45 degree angle.
Interior: First floor - 4 rooms. Second floor - 5 rooms total - 4 bedrooms.
Environment: No other historical buildings occupy the site. It is located in an older residential area west of Medicine Hat's central business district. The landscaping of the site consists of lawn and a variety of trees and shrubs which may date from the construction of the house. The houses surrounding the site generally date from the era of urban expansion prior to World War I.
Condition: Good. 1 JAN 1981. Good (2007)
Alterations: 1959 - interior renovatons permit #343. The overall integrity of the building remains high since no additions have been made to the exterior and interior modifications have been minimal. 1st storey rear addition.

Historical

Construction: Construction Date:
Construction Started
Constructed
1901/01/01
1908/01/01
Usage: Usage Date:
Residence
Residence
1909/01/01
1909/01/01
Owner: Owner Date:
Wm Crawford
Crawford, William
Mr. Matt Davis and Diana Davis
Dwaine Dietrich and Patricia Ellen Dietrict
1901/01/01
1909/01/01
1952/01/01
1984/05/01
Architect: George Kerr
Builder: Crawford, William
Craftsman: Woodwork and carpentering: George Kerr
History: William Crawford was first occupant of house. Original address: 905 Esplanade.
Architectural Significance:
The design of the Crawford Residence has been derived from the Queen Anne Style which was originally based on the rural English country house of the Elizabethan period. The first example of this style of home was constructed in 1868 in Sussex England and designed by Richard Norman Shaw, the most successful English architect of the late nineteenth century. The transmission of this style to North America occurred during the early 1870s when Shaw's work was publicized in architectural journals which included photographs. Shaw's ideas strongly influenced American architects such as Henry Hobson Richardson. It was further popularized by the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial Exposition at which the British government constructed living quarters and offices in the Queen Anne style. Residential designs which included elements of the Queen Anne Style continued to appear in popular design books and architectural periodicals into the 1920s. One such book was Hodgson's 'Practical Bungalows and Cottages for Town and Country', published in Chicago in 1912. The text, which included over 100 illustrations of homes (the accompanying blueprints and specifications were for sale at prices ranging from $5.00 to $15.00) contained Queen Anne inspired designs. However, these designs had already been strongly influenced by the modern preference for cleaner lines, less ornamental detail and less irregular massing. The aspects of the Crawford residence which reflect the influence of this style include its asymmetrical plan and the wrap-around verandah. Homes which resemble the Crawford were built in other areas of the Province until the late 1920s, particularly in more affluent neighbourhoods.
Historical Significance:
The Crawford house was constructed in 1901 for William Crawford who was a CPR railway conductor well known for his community involvement and for his local business associations. William Crawford came to Medicine Hat from Camlackie, Ontario in 1884. He remained in Medicine Hat where he worked as a conductor for the Canadian Pacific Railway until his retirment at age fifty. He was very involved in community affairs, serving as the President of the Liberal Association, Royal Arch Masons, Bicycle Club and Whist Club, and Vice President of the Lawn Tennis Club. He was an elder in the St. John's Presbyterian Church, and a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Shriners. Mr. Crawford was on the Board of Directors of the Medicine Hat General Hospital serving as Secretary Treasurer during the construction of the Victoria Nurses' Residence for which he personally canvassed the city for funds. His real estate investments included the premises of the 'Medicine Hat News', the Medicine Hat Steam Laundry Co. Ltd, the Green Lantern, the Taber Candy Company, the Glasgow House, a greenhouse, some cottages and a farm. After his death in 1935 his wife continued to live in the home until her death in 1952 at which time the home was sold to Mr. Matt Davis and his wife Diana who retained ownership until 1984. Doctor Matthew Davis and his wife moved to Medicine Hat in 1945. Over the years Doctor Davis has been a member of the Masons, the Shriners, the Kinsmen, the Kiwanians, Fifth Avenue Church and acted as the Medical Doctor for the 'Tigers'. The historical significance of this house thus derives from its association with William Crawford whose involvement in the social and economic life in the community reflects Medicine Hat's growth particularly between 1896 and 1915 as regional commercial centre in South Eastern Alberta.
----------------------------------------------
1917 - Crawford, William
1937 - Crawford, Mrs. William
1953 - Davis, Dr. Matt (o), physician Medical Arts Clinic.
1984 - Dietrich, Dwaine E (o), general manager Chat Television Station
1999+ - Dietrich, Dwaine E (o)

Internal

Status: Status Date:
Active
Active
1981/01/01
2007/04/09
Designation Status: Designation Date:
Registered Historic Resource
1988/08/29
Register: N/A
Record Information: Record Information Date:
K. Williams 1989/08/30

Links

Internet:
Alberta Register of Historic Places: 4665-0597
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2020 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility