Logged in as user  [Login]  |
ARHP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Key Number: HS 60606
Site Name: Dr. Terwilliger House
Other Names:
Site Type: 0101 - Residential: Single Dwelling

Location

ATS Legal Description:
Twp Rge Mer
52 24 4


Address: 10727 - 125 Street
Number: 27
Street: 125
Avenue: 107
Other:
Town: Edmonton
Near Town:

Media

Type Number Date View
Source

Architectural

Style: Bungalow
Plan Shape:
Storeys: Storeys: 1 1/2
Foundation: Basement/Foundation Wall Material: Brick
Superstructure: Nailed Frame
Superstructure Cover:
Roof Structure:
Roof Cover:
Exterior Codes: Massing of Units: Single Detached
Wings: Unknown
Number of Bays - Facade: First or Ground Floor, 2 Bays
Wall Design and Detail: None
Roof Trim - Eaves: Plain Soffit
Roof Trim Material - Eaves: Wood
Roof Trim - Verges: Plain Soffit
Roof Trim Material - Verges: Wood
Towers, Steeples and Domes: None
Dormer Type: None
Chimney Location - Side to Side: Unknown
Roof Trim - Special Features: None
Window - Structural Opening Shape: Flat
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Plain Flat
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Material: Wood
Window - Sill Type: Plain Slip Sill
Window - Sill Material: Wood
Window - Trim Within Structural Opening - Head: Plain
Window - Trim Within Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Window - Number of Sashes: One
Window - Opening Mechanism: Single or Double Hung
Window - Special Types: None
Window - Pane Arrangements: 2 over 2
Main Entrance - Location: Centre (Facade)
Main Entrance - Structural Opening Shape: Flat
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Shaped hood, with or without brackets
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening Material: Wood
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Head: Plain
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Main Entrance - Number of Leaves: 1
Main Entrance - Number of Panels Per Leaf: 1
Main Entrance - Leaves - Special Feature: Glass
Main Stairs - Location and Design: First or Ground Floor, Closed Railing
Main Stairs - Direction: Straight
Main Porch - Type: Closed Porch
Main Porch - Special Features: None
Main Porch - Material: Concrete
Main Porch - Height: First Storey
Exterior:   The Dr. Terwillegar Residence is a wood frame bungalow on a brick foundation.

The substructure is assembled with a brick foundation and a pony wall up to the first floor joists
Dr. Terwillegar's Residence possesses a substantial amount of the original architectural detailing.   It is a wood frame building clad on the exterior with cedar shingles. The original floor plan, windows and doors are still intact.   The original trim is in place and has simply been coated with a couple of layers of paint. *  *  * 1 1/2 storey, consisting of low-profile massing and a porch outside of the body of the house, bay windows, and a low-pitched hipped-roof with broad eaves supported by rafters that extend beyond the exterior wall. The hipped-dormer and gable end over the porch enclosure; exterior wood shingles, original wood sash, storm windows and solid raised-panel wood doors with upper glazing; windows with four-lite transoms over 4/2 sash configuration. *   *   * It is a wood-frame structure on a central full-basement.  Approximately twelve feet of perimeter dirt crawl space surrounds the central full basement which consists of a short exterior wood upper foundation wall on a masonry foundation wall extending to the footings.
Interior:
Environment:
Condition:
Alterations:

Historical

Construction: Construction Date:
Construction Started approx.
1912/06/01
Usage: Usage Date:
New house
Residence
1913/01/01
1914/01/01
Owner: Owner Date:
Charles W. Coppock
Harry Helliwell
John B. Wallace
1912/01/01
1915/01/01
1916/01/01
Architect: John Martland
Builder: M. Hughes, contractor
Craftsman: N/A
History: 1914 - Arthur Mowat, how Std't Short Cross Biggar, Sherry & Field.; 1915 - Harry Helliwell, V.P. Western Real Estate Co. Ltd. Later home of Dr. Norman Terwilliger, Pioneer surgeon. Practised in Edm. for over 35 yrs. member of Royal Alex Hospital. * * * Dr. Norman Terwilliger Dr. Norman Terwilliger, pioneer and general practitioner from 1912, practised in Edmonton for over 35 years. He was a member of the Royal Alexandra Hospital staff and served terms as President of the Edmonton Academy of Medicine and the Alberta Medical Society. Dr. Terwilliger was well-known to old-time residents. In the time of need, there was only one name that came to mind. Travelling by horse and buggy, he attended the sick, charging only as much as his patients could afford. * * * HISTORICAL CONTEXT : ... The lot was owned by a realtor with Western Canadian Properties named Charles W. Coppock, and, on 1 April 1912, Coppock applied for a permit to build a gabled wood frame dwelling on it. The architect was listed as John Martland, who would go on to become the Edmonton City Architect. The contractor was identified a M. Hughes. The value of the building was estimated to be $3600. In the 1913 Henderson's Directory , it was listed as a "new house" yet to be occupied, but in 1914, it began to serve as the residence of the lawyer, Arthur Mowat of the firm of Short, Wood, Biggar & Collinson. Both O.M. Biggar and S. Wood had just built mansions in Glenora overlooking the Groat Ravine. In 1915, when Edmonton was in the second year of a massive recession, Coppock sold this property to the real estate agent Harry Helliwell, who was Vice-President of Western Realty. Helliwell also lived in it for about a year. In 1916, Helliwell sold it to an accountant with the Hudson's Bay Company named John B. Wallace, and in 1919, it became the home of Dr. L.C. Harris, who was a physician with the Board of Pension Commissioners. In 1920, it was acquired by another physician, Dr. Norman L. Terwilliger, whose family would occupy it for the next 38 years. Terwilliger was a resident doctor at the Royal Alexander Hospital, but also maintained a private practice in the Tegler Building. He would later serve as President of the Edmonton Medical Academy and President of the Alberta Medical Society. When he passed away in 1948, his house continued to be occupied by his widow, Dorothy, who would reside init until 1958, when she moved to another residence. In 1960, the house was acquired by a construction contractor named Gordon Brooks, whose widow, June, continues to live in it and is now seeking to have it designated an historic site. Historical Significance : The historical significance of the Terwilliger House lies in its provision of structural evidence of the development of the east Westmount district of Edmonton, which sprang up as a less pretentious, but nonetheless elegant northern extension of the Glenora district of the city. Both districts were the result of the frantic real estate boom that occurred in Edmonton immediately prior to World War I. It is also important in its association with one of Edmonton’s more prominent physicians over the years, Dr. Norman Terwilliger, who, with his family, occupied it from 1920 to 1948, his wife continuing to dwell in it until 1958. Evidence of Terwilliger’s prestige lies in the fact that Terwilliger Heights was named in his memory in 1962. It is also important in its design by John Martland, who later became Edmonton City Architect.

Internal

Status: Status Date:
signed)

Designation Status: Designation Date:
Registered Historic Resource
2001/11/15
Register: N/A
Record Information: Record Information Date:
S. Khanna 1993/04/28

Links

Internet:
Alberta Register of Historic Places: 4665-0989
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2020 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility