Logged in as user  [Login]  |
ARHP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Key Number: HS 9675
Site Name: Grier Block
Other Names:
Site Type: 0409 - Mercantile/Commercial: Specialty Store or Shop

Location

ATS Legal Description:
Twp Rge Mer
9 26 4


Address: 2305-2311 - 2 Avenue
Number: 5-11
Street: 23
Avenue: 2
Other:
Town: Fort Macleod
Near Town:

Media

Type Number Date View
Source

Architectural

Style:
Plan Shape: Square
Storeys: Storeys: 2
Foundation: Basement/Foundation Wall Material: Unknown
Superstructure: Brick
Superstructure Cover:
Roof Structure: Shed
Roof Cover:
Exterior Codes: Massing of Units: Row, Non-Related, End
Wings: None
Number of Bays - Facade: First or Ground Floor, 9 Bays or more
Wall Design and Detail: Entablature
Wall Design and Detail: Plain Parapet
Plain Eaves
Roof Trim Material - Verges: None
Dormer Type: None
Chimney Location - Side to Side: Centre
Chimney Location - Front to Rear: Rear
Chimney Stack Material: Brick
Chimney Stack Massing: Single
Roof Trim - Special Features: Finial
Roof Trim - Special Features: Other
Window - Structural Opening Shape: Flat
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Plain Flat
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Sides: Pier or Pilaster
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Material: Metal
Window - Sill Type: Continuous Sill
Window - Sill Material: Concrete
Window - Number of Sashes: Two, Double Hung
Window - Opening Mechanism: Single or Double Hung
Window - Special Types: None
Main Entrance - Location: Other
Main Entrance - Structural Opening Shape: Segmental
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Voussoir
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Sides: None
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Head: Plain
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Head: Flat Transom, Blind
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Main Entrance - Number of Leaves: 1
Main Entrance - Number of Panels Per Leaf: 3
Main Entrance - Leaves - Special Feature: Glass
Main Stairs - Location and Design: Upper Floors, Open Railing
Main Stairs - Direction: Straight Side
Main Porch - Type: None
Main Porch - Special Features: None
Main Porch - Material: None
Main Porch - Height: None
Exterior: E. Elevation - Projecting Entablature at roofline. Decorative window surrounds, all 2nd storey window, E. elevation stepped parapet, N. and S. elevations. Sandstone sill and radiating voussoirs, all window, N. and W. elevations.
Interior: Interior have been remodeled
Environment: P roperty Features: None Lot size : 70 feet by 70 feet.
Condition: Fair.
Alterations: Site: Original 1918 - there was drop siding added to the west fire escape. 1977 - the north end business was renovated. The south end business was renovated in January 1996. Drywalling, bathroom added and the hardwood redone.

Historical

Construction: Construction Date:
Construction Started
1900/01/01
Usage: Usage Date:
Barnes Medical Hall and Drugs; Union Meat Market
Wilson's Millinery; Macleod Gazette, Great West Saddlery Co.
Residential: Multiple Dwelling
Mercantile/Commercial: Specialty Store or Shop



1900/01/01
Owner: Owner Date:
Swinarton
Deborah J Campbell
1979/01/01
1995/12/14
Architect: David J Grier
Builder: David J Grier
Craftsman: N/A
History: 1903 - Ad. for Union Meat Market - Grier Block. Open for business on October 1. April 17, 1903 - "Great West saddlery moved into their new business premises". 1910 - H.J. Turner, Real Estate, Grier Block. 1911 - "The Macleod Gazette": "A.M. Wilson - Fashionable Millinery - Grier Block. Miss Wilson came from Pincher Creek in 1903 and purchased the business from Florence O'Neil. April 10, 1903 - Miss Wilson opened store. Grier Block - also known as Metge - O'Brien Block. "Macleod Gazette" at one time in far right (1913). It is possible that this structure was constructed around 1902-1903. D-1956 - GRIER BLOCK, FORT MACLEOD HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE: In 1874, Colonel James Macleod led a contingent of 150 mounted police across the Canadian prairie and established a post on the Oldman River called Fort Macleod. With law and order established, cattle ranching soon became the staple economy for the district, while a settlement began to grow up around the Fort. In 1884, the settlement was moved one mile west to avoid flooding and named Macleod. With the growth of the cattle industry, the community developed to some size, and, in 1982, was incorporated as a town. That same year, the Calgary Edmonton Railway was extended there, assuring the town of continued prosperity. Among the early developers of Macleod, few were as active, and none were as long serving as David J. Grier. A young adventurer of Irish descent, he had come west in 1877 to join the North West Mounted Police, but had soon gone into ranching and farming. He was reputed to have grown the first wheat in the district. Early records show him to have been an active member of the community. He served as returning officer for the school petition of 1886, and, that same, year, helped organize the first agricultural fair. During the 1890's, he operated the town on 2nd Avenue and 15th Street. A large two story structure of brick and sandstone, it also featured a unique facade of pressed tin. When Barnes' Medical Hall Drugs began to operate from this building, along with Union Meat Market, the business district of Macleod was effectively extended to 2nd Avenue. Grier himself would add to this development in 1906, when he and Dick Jones opened the new 52 room Empire Hotel. During these years, Grier was at the center of local politics, serving as mayor for 11 years between 1900 and 1918, when many of the public services such as electrical power, water, sewer and natural gas were installed. He owned the Macleod News for a while, and, in 1923, became the publisher of the Macleod Times and Weekly News. Over the years, his business block would come to house such firms as Wilson's Millinery, Great West Saddlery, and the Macleod Gazette. The historical significance of the Grier Block lies in its association with the development of the business district of Macleod (later named Fort Macleod) after the turn of the century. Though the town was, by 1900, outdistanced by Calgary, Lethbridge and Medicine Hat in size, it would continue as a vital element of the culture and economy of southern Alberta. The Grier Block is the oldest extant brick building in Fort Macleod to provide structural evidence of the community's early commercial vitality. It is also significant for its association with one of the town's most active and long serving business developers and community leaders.

The historical significance of the Grier Block lies in its association with the development of the business district of Macleod (later named Fort Macleod) after the turn of the century. Though the town was, by 1900, outdistanced by Calgary, Lethbridge and Medicine Hat in size, it would continue as a vital element of the culture and economy of southern Alberta. The Grier Block is the oldest extant brick building in Fort Macleod to provide structural evidence of the community's early commercial vitality. It is also significant for its association with one of the town's most active and long serving business developers and community leaders.

Internal

Status: Status Date:
Active

Designation Status: Designation Date:
Provincial Historic Resource
2002/02/15
Register: N/A
Record Information: Record Information Date:
C.I.H.B. 1900/01/01

Links

Internet:
Alberta Register of Historic Places: 4665-0990
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2022 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility