|ARTIST BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH: ||Jane van Alderwegen (b. 1931) in London, England, received her Diploma from the Central School of Arts and Crafts there. She immigrated to Canada in 1958, moved to Calgary in 1960, relocated to Edmonton in 1961 and remained there until her retirement to Vancouver in 1983. In 2008, Jane suffered a stroke leaving her paralyzed on her left side, leaving her unable to continue her pottery practice, though she remains involved with the Victoria Potter’s Guild.
van Alderwegen was a production potter in Calgary, and later taught with the Edmonton Potter’s Guild in 1964-67. For a decade from 1968-78, she taught through the University of Alberta, Faculty of Extension.
Jane van Alderwegen was a significant ceramicist in Alberta, however remains under celebrated. In 1967, she was awarded a Canada Council for the Ats grant to set up a studio in Edmonotn. Her ceramics were featured in Ceramics International ’73 in Calgary, Edmonton Clayworks (1979) at Latitude 53 and at Canadiana Galleries in Edmonton in 1980 as part of Roots, Potters of Alberta.|