|LEVEL OF DESCRIPTION: ||Fonds|
|TITLE: ||Alberta Distance Learning Centre Fonds|
|CREATOR: ||Alberta Distance Learning Centre|
|DATE RANGE: ||1949|
|EXTENT: ||0.30 m of textual records|
|HISTORY/BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH: ||In 1923, the Department of Education, Government of Alberta established the Alberta Correspondence School with the aim of providing education to children located in remote areas of the province, housebound individuals, and adults interested in pursuing education. Elizabeth Sievwright served as Correspondence School Director from 1923 to 1930. In 1937, the Correspondence School Branch moved into an office in Edmonton, Alberta. In 1940, the Correspondence School Branch produced the Department of Education's first radio series for broadcast on the University of Alberta's radio station, CKUA. In the early 1970s, the Alberta Correspondence School began using television as a teaching tool. In the 1980s the school began implementing computer assisted learning. In 1983, the school relocated to Barrhead, Alberta. In 1991, the Alberta Correspondence School became the Alberta Distance Learning Centre (ADLC). In 1996,
The Alberta Distance Learning Centre joined with Pembina Hills School Division's Vista Virtual School to create the ADLC Online School. In 1998, ADLC opened a Calgary office. In 1999, Distance Learning Options South (DLOS) joined the ADLC. In 2006, DLOS dissolved and ADLC absorbed DLOS. ADLC offers courses for elementary, junior, and senior levels as well as offering programs for French immersion, francophone, and Christian studies.
|CUSTODIAL HISTORY:||In 2000, the Vermilion Retired Teachers Association donated the material to the Provincial Archives of Alberta. The Vermilion Retired Teachers Association had used the materials and incorporated the material into their archives. |
|SCOPE AND CONTENT: ||The fonds consists of records created by the Alberta Distance Learning Centre including curriculum lesson plans on the topics of printing, arithmetic, phonics, social studies, art, science, social activities, and health for use in grades 1 through 8 dating from 1949. The fonds also includes a booklet documenting the history of the school dating from 1949. |
|RELATED RECORDS: ||For more information on the activities of the Alberta Distance Learning Centre, please see the Alberta School Broadcasts collection at the Provincial Archives of Alberta. |
|GENERAL NOTE: ||Information for the administrative history/biographical sketch sourced from: Alberta Distance Learning Centre: http://www.adlc.ca/about/history.php?timeline=textonly
(Accessed Jan. 11, 2008).