Alberta
Contact Us
     Location: Alberta Government > Culture and Tourism > HeRMIS >PAA
 |
View Report!
LEVEL OF DESCRIPTION: Fonds
No.: PR1855
TITLE: Butler Angus Engineering (1980) Limited fonds
CREATOR: Butler Angus Engineering (1980)
DATE RANGE: 1950-1989
EXTENT: [ca. 1500] transparencies and other material
Includes 0.29 m of textual records, 9 blueprints, 5 maps, and 1 photograph album.
ADMINISTRATIVE
HISTORY/BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH: Butler, Angus Engineering Limited traces its roots to the Toronto-based firm, H.H. Angus and Associates, a firm started by Harry Holborn Angus in 1919. A branch office of H.H. Angus and Associates was opened in Edmonton, Alberta in 1950. Percy Butler, a design engineer for H.H. Angus and Associates from 1946 to 1950, became the manager of this branch. The following year, Angus, Butler and Associates Limited was formed, and was incorporated under the Companies Act on May 2, 1951. Branch offices of Angus, Butler and Associates were opened in Calgary, Alberta in 1954 and in Regina, Saskatchewan in 1957. In 1961, resident partners were able to purchase their respective offices and these branches became independent companies; the Edmonton branch became Angus, Butler Engineering Limited and was incorporated March 13, 1961. Percy Butler remained at the head of the company. In 1969, the company won the Canadian Consulting Engineering Award of Excellence for mechanical, aeronautical and industrial engineering for their work on the Control Services Building of the Misericordia Hospital Complex. In 1972, Angus, Butler Engineering Limited along with the Balfour, Beatty Group, Kasten, Smith, Eadie Limited and Wright Engineers Limited incorporated Intercontinental Engineering of Alberta Limited, which offered multi-discipline expertise for engineering services and was capable of handling multi-million dollar projects. Butler, Angus Engineering’s registration was cancelled in 1980. It was reincorporated as Butler Angus Engineering (1980) Limited on May 1, 1980. This company’s registration was cancelled in 1989.
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The fonds consists of the records of Butler, Angus Engineering Limited and includes slides of mechanical and electrical tracings of buildings designed for Edmonton from 1950 to 1989 as well as an index to the images. The fonds also includes publications prepared by Angus, Butler Engineering Limited as well as publications and other materials prepared by Intercontinental Engineering Limited, primarily concerning an Athabasca Tar Sands project, and a photograph album commemorating the construction of the Alberta Jubilee Auditoria.
GENERAL NOTE: Information for the administrative history is taken from the Alberta Gazette and from the records. This fonds was donated at the same time, and in the same accession as the following unrelated fonds: Hillcrest Country Club Limited (PR1856). This fonds was donated at the same time, and in the same accession as two unrelated discrete items: an invitation and an order of service for Rundle United Church, September 24, 1989; the image from the invitation can be located in the A file of the Provincial Archives of Alberta reference prints under the number A.18,047.
Back to search results


Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.



Home    About the Provincial Archives   Login

© 1995 - 2020   Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility