|LEVEL OF DESCRIPTION: ||Fonds|
|TITLE: ||Wells Photographic Studios fonds|
|CREATOR: ||Wells Photographic Studios|
|DATE RANGE: ||1949-1977|
|EXTENT: ||ca. 2300 negatives and other material|
Includes 0.05 m of textual records, 17 photographs, 5 transparencies, 2 postcards, and 1 architectural plan.
|HISTORY/BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH: ||George J. Wells began his career in Vancouver, British Columbia, and was part of a partnership there before moving to Edmonton, Alberta in 1949 and starting Wells Photo Services, which soon became known as Wells Studios. Wells Studios was involved in portrait, commercial, home portrait and direct colour photography. The Studio was initially located on 92nd Street and Saskatchewan Drive, but through most of the 1950s and into the 1970s, occupied various locations along Jasper Avenue, before relocating to 104th Street and 82nd Avenue. Wells Studios was purchased in 1967 by Edgar and Florence Jackson and became Wells Photographic Studios, and was subsequently purchased by Cheryl Webb in 1978.|
|SCOPE AND CONTENT: ||The fonds consists of the business records of Wells Studios, including purchase orders and correspondence, and images consisting primarily of commercial and publicity shots, and include buildings, such as churches, banks, and stores (exteriors and interiors), houses (exteriors and interiors), parades, theatre productions, workplaces, sports, industrial plants, construction sites, various group photographs, conferences, and trade shows.|
|GENERAL NOTE: ||Information for the administrative history is from the records and from information provided by Cheryl Webb, of Wells Photographic Design.
The photographs can be located in the WS file of the Provincial Archives of Alberta reference prints.|
|RELATED FILES: ||Display FileList|
|RELATED ITEMS: ||WS983.1 (Houses on 104 Street at 114 Avenue, Edmonton)|