|LEVEL OF DESCRIPTION: ||Fonds|
|TITLE: ||Cadomin Coal Company Limited fonds|
|CREATOR: ||Cadomin Coal Company|
|DATE RANGE: ||1917-1954|
|EXTENT: ||0.30m textual records. – 52 photographs. – 1 booklet.|
|HISTORY/BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH: ||The Cadomin Coal Company Limited (Ltd.) was incorporated on July 11, 1917 by Lougheed, Bennett & Company, with Daniel Lee Redman, Charles William Coole, Orrin H.E. Might, Frederick G. Beaumont and Alice Elizabeth Millar as incorporators and provisional directors. These parties all resigned in 1917, and their places as directors taken by Frederick Lawrence Hammond, Edward Ballie, and Eva M. Porley. F.L. Hammond became the first president of the Company. The Cadomin Coal Company subsequently bought the Cadomin Collieries Limited. The Company mined and shipped bituminous and coking coal. Beginning in 1946, the Company was the parent company for Gregg River Collieries Limited, which was incorporated that same year. The Cadomin coal mines ceased operations in July 1952, a result of the flooding of the McLeod River and the decreasing demand for coal.|
|SCOPE AND CONTENT: ||The fonds consists of the records of the Cadomin Coal Company Ltd. and includes: reports from 1921 and 1937; minutes, constitution, bylaws and agreements from 1917 to 1919; and a photograph album including 16 photographs likely from the 1920s of Cadomin, Alberta and the surrounding area, residents, employees and directors, and coal operations in the area, along with 36 photographs from around the 1920s-1940s depicting similar subjects.|
|ARRANGEMENT NOTE: ||The Gregg River Collieries Limited sous-fonds (PR0997.001SF) has been arranged within the fonds. |
|ASSOCIATED MATERIAL: |
See also the Coal Branch Historical Preservation Society fonds (PR0276), the
Nicholas Melnyk fonds (PR1303), the Charles Lee fonds (PR0618), the Godby Family fonds (PR3251), the Bill Davies
fonds (PR2331), and the Andrew A. den Otter fonds (PR3371) at the Provincial Archives of Alberta.
At one time, some files from PR1982.0233 were arranged as part of this fonds. In 2015, all records of PR1982.0233
were rearranged as part of the Nicholas Melnyk fonds (PR1303).
|GENERAL NOTE: |
Information for the administrative history is from the records, and various books available in the Provincial Archives of Alberta Reference library: Oh! The Coal Branch, 971.233 R733, Coal Mines in Alberta, 338.272 C652 PAA vol. 1 & 2, and A Story of the Coal Branch, 971.233 St76a.
Some of the photographs can be located in the A file under the numbers A.4369-A.4378.
Hugh Campbell also deposited the records for the Canadian Feed Industry Association, Alberta Division fonds and the F.L. Hammond fonds.
Included in accession PR2012.0702 were the following fonds: the Cadomin Coal Company fonds and the Thomas and Gertrude Hawkwood fonds.
|RELATED SOUS-FONDS: ||PR0997.001SF (Gregg River Collieries Limited sous-fonds)|
|RELATED ITEMS: ||A11396 (Cadomin Mine Interior of shaft plant and dryer)|
A11397 (Cadomin Mine Interior of shaft plant and dryer)
A11398 (Cadomin Mine, shaft plant and dryer in background.)
A11399 (Cadomin Mine, 8 inch pipeline.)
A4369 (Cadomin, Alberta)
A4370 (Cadomin, Alberta)
A4371 (Cadomin, Alberta)
A4372 (Cadomin, Alberta)
A4373 (Cadomin, Alberta)
A4374 (Cadomin, Alberta)
A4375 (Cadomin, Alberta)
A4376 (Cadomin, Alberta)
A4377 (Cadomin, Alberta)
A4377a (Colin Campbell)
A4378 (Cadomin, Alberta)