|LEVEL OF DESCRIPTION: ||Fonds|
|TITLE: ||Edmonton Board of Trade fonds|
|CREATOR: ||Edmonton Board of Trade|
|DATE RANGE: ||1890-1895|
|EXTENT: ||0.02 m of textual records|
|HISTORY/BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH: ||The Edmonton Board of Trade was formed in February 27 of 1889, with the goal of attracting settlers to the Edmonton district. Initially there were thirty-three members. The first meeting was held May 2, 1889; John Cameron was elected president, Ed Carey vice-president, Alex Taylor treasurer and Colin F. Strang secretary. The bylaws were adapted from the Winnipeg Board of Trade. The initial purpose of the Board was to encourage and endeavour to promote settlement by collecting and publishing reliable information gathered from businessmen and resident farmers regarding the Edmonton district. In the first year, membership increased to 47 members. After 1928, the Board was known as the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce.|
|CUSTODIAL HISTORY:||Gladys Serafino of the Provincial Museum of Alberta, on behalf of Hazel and John Stewart, deposited the records in the Provincial Archives of Alberta in 1988. John Stewart was the grandson of J.C.F. Bown; J.C.F. Bown's relationship to the Edmonton Board of Trade is unclear, though he was possibly a member.|
|SCOPE AND CONTENT: ||The fonds consists of early records of the Edmonton Board of Trade and includes member lists, minutes (some in draft form), a petition, oaths, correspondence and newspaper clippings.|
|RELATED RECORDS: ||A pamphlet entitled "15 Minutes with Edmonton, Canada," published by the Edmonton Board of Trade in 1907, is available under accession PR1990.0225.|
|GENERAL NOTE: ||Information for the administrative history is taken from Century of Enterprise: The History of the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce, which is available in the Provincial Archives of Alberta Reference Library, 380.106071233 G427 PAA, from the Provincial Archives of Alberta Reference Library information file and from the records.
Included in accession PR1988.0434 are records belonging to the Edmonton Liberal Conservative Association fonds (PR1772) and the Hazel and John Stewart fonds (PR1770).