|HISTORY/BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH: ||In 1912, James McGavin arrived in Edmonton from Glasgow, Scotland.
In 1913, James bought the Stinson Bakery. In 1916, James opened McGavin's Bros. Bakery with the help of his brothers from Scotland. In 1924, McGavin's opened a location in Vancouver, BC. In 1927, the company took over Campbell's Bakery, and Griffith's Bakery in Vancouver. The Bakery then opened locations in Saskatoon, Regina, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, and Vancouver. In 1932, the Company became McGavin Bakeries Limited. In 1946, James' son, Allan McGavin Jr. took over as President of the company. In 1961, the Company became McGavin Toastmaster Limited. Throughout the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s, McGavin's gained clients such as Jolly Marts, Mac's Stores, Wendy's Restaurants, Federated Co-op, Burger King, A & W. In 1992, McGavin's became a wholly owned subsidiary of Corporate Food Limited