Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Phillips Building

Edmonton

Other Names:
Phillips Lofts
Purcell and Kelly Building

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place
The Phillips Building is a five-storey rectangular brick commercial building located on four city lots a block north of Jasper Avenue on 104th Street in Edmonton's original historic warehouse district.

Heritage Value
The Phillips Building is architecturally significant as a representative example of commercial warehouse design that characterized Edmonton's growth during the pre-World War One economic boom. Originally leased to the Western and Cartage Company it was built to store manufactured goods for regional and northern distribution.

Completed in 1913 and touted to be a made-in-Edmonton building, The Phillips Building was designed and constructed by Purcell and Foote, local architects and builders, and the Edmonton firm of Aslip and Company supplied locally made sand lime brick. A unique feature of this building was the arcade, which provided an access opening through the centre of the building to the loading docks at the rear. The main facade was redesigned in the sixties and subsequently restored in 2001.

The Phillips Building, an important element of the historic warehouse area streetscape, is consistent in scale and character to neighbouring buildings on 104th Street and strengthens the transition between Jasper Avenue and the commercial warehouse district.

Source: City of Edmonton (Bylaw: 12607)


Character-Defining Elements
The commercial warehouse architecture of The Phillips Building is expressed in character-defining elements such as:
- the original 1913 west facade;
- recessed window bays defined by pilasters with cast stone base and corbelled brick beneath the cornice at the parapet level;
- the four recessed entrances with articulated quoin surrounds and cornice, the centre two entrances defining the original arcade through the building;
- detailing of the window surrounds including cast stone sills and headers;
- the dentilled metal cornice at the upper level and the storefront level;
- brick corbelling and parapet projections;
- the two date plaques on the west facade.


Location



Street Address: 10169 - 104 Street
Community: Edmonton
Boundaries: Lot 163, Block 3, Plan B and Units 1 to 41, Condominium Plan 0222718
Contributing Resources: Buildings: 1

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
4
24
53
5
2 (ptn.)

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel
B1
B1
B1
B1
3
3
3
3
166
165
164
163





Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
53.542482 -113.498696 Secondary Source NAD 83

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Local Governments (AB)
Designation Status: Municipal Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 2001/06/12

Historical Information

Built: 1913 To 1913
Significant Date(s) 1913 To 2004
Theme(s) Developing Economies : Trade and Commerce
Historic Function(s): Commerce / Commercial Services : Warehouse
Current Function(s): Residence : Multiple Dwelling
Architect: Purcell and Foote
Builder: Purcell and Foote
Context:

Additional Information

Object Number: 4664-0026
Designation File:
Related Listing(s):
Heritage Survey File: HS 59621
Website Link: http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/planning_development/historic-resources.aspx
Data Source: City of Edmonton, Planning and Development Department, 10250 - 101 Street, Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4 (Digital File: 977772)
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2019 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility