Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Cronquist House

Red Deer

Other Names:
Cronquist Residence

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place
Cronquist House is a solid two and one-half storey brick Queen Anne Revival style building, featuring a prominent high round turret with conical roof, bay windows, and front veranda. It is located on 18.41 hectares of land in Red Deer's Bower Ponds recreation area. It was moved to its present location in 1976.

Heritage Value
Historical Value: Cronquist House is historically significant as the home of Emanuel Petterson Cronquist and his family, who arrived with the first wave of Swedish immigrants to Central Alberta in 1893. A successful farmer, horse and cattle dealer, and businessman, Cronquist built this spacious farm home overlooking the Red Deer River in 1911-1912. Cronquist House was occupied by members of the family until 1974.

Social Value: Cronquist House is a valued Red Deer landmark. In 1976 the community rallied to save Cronquist House when it was threatened with demolition. It was relocated from the Cronquist farm across the river to its current location. The restored Cronquist House, now operated by the Red Deer Cultural Heritage Society, has significant value as a venue for Red Deer's ethnic groups and the arts community.

Architectural Value: Cronquist House is a rare example of a restrained Queen Anne Revival style residence in Red Deer. It is significant for its use of quality, local materials including Red Deer Brick and local sandstone from the quarry on Cronquist's land.

Source: Red Deer and District Archives, Archivist, City of Red Deer, PO Box 5008, 4914 - 48 Avenue, Red Deer, AB T4N 3T4 (Biographical Files: Emmanuel Peterson Cronquist; Research File: RG39-2).


Character-Defining Elements
- Form, massing and siding that define the silhouette of the Cronquist House
- All Queen Anne Revival style design elements including: the prominent three-storey round turret, capped by a steep conical roof with decorative finial; high pitched gable roofs; skirting on turret and front gable; and the covered wrap-around verandah featuring turned wood Doric supports and an upper balcony
- All exterior features including the original windows and doors; brick voussoirs; sandstone window sills; cedar shingle roofing, wall finish, and gable ends; and painted decorative trim, including soffits, eaves, and railings
- All original interior features including the staircases; doors; the fir window and door trim; wooden floors and baseboards


Location



Street Address: 4707 Fountain Drive
Community: Red Deer
Boundaries: Lot 1MR, Block 1, Plan 8322386
Contributing Resources: Buildings: 1

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
4
4
27
27
38
38
17
17
05
12

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel
2333P
X
N/A
A

Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
52.269454 -113.831932 GPS NAD 83

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Local Governments (AB)
Designation Status: Municipal Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 1982/10/25

Historical Information

Built: 1911 To 1912
Significant Date(s) 1911 To 1974
Theme(s) Peopling the Land : Settlement
Historic Function(s): Residence : Single Dwelling
Current Function(s): Leisure : Museum
Leisure : Recreation Centre
Architect:
Builder:
Context: HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE

This residence has been the home of the Cronquist family since it was constructed in 1911. It is associated with the history of farming in the Red Deer district - Cronquists were outfitters, ranchers and mixed farmers as well as being actively involved in the field of business such as real estate. The building itself is a unique example of rural farmhouses architecture as brick was not a common material used in Alberta farmhouses. The style is a typical late Victorian, and relatively common to dwellings in an urban center.

(Site Information Summary)



HISTORICAL REPORT ON THE CRONQUIST HOUSE, RED DEER

Emanuel Peterson Cronquist came to the Burnt Lake area (west of Red Deer) from Sweden in 1893. Cronquist's original name was Peterson, however, he changed it to Cronquist to avoid confusion with another Peterson in the same region. Around 1900, he acquired the present farm in the Red Deer area and began to outfit local ranchers and homesteaders.

E. P. Cronquist's ventures in this part of Alberta proved to be very successful, and resulted in part in the construction of this unique brick farmhouse on a hill overlooking the City of Red Deer. This work was accomplished in 1911, and the building and accompanying farm has remained in the Cronquist family ever since. With involvements in the real estate of Red Deer, and in the outfitting of the local rural populace, Cronquist became a well-known resident of the area, and his farm served as a social centre to some extent.

(Heritage Sites Service - E. F. Korvemaker )


Additional Information

Object Number: 4664-0039
Designation File:
Related Listing(s):
Heritage Survey File: HS 22777
Website Link: http://www3.telus.net/cronquist/chs2.html
Data Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen’s College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (Provincial Heritage Inventory Data Base) (File: Des. 0287)
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2020 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility