Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Molstad House

Edmonton

Other Names:

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place
Molstad House is a large two and one-half storey building with hip roof located on a 95th Avenue corner lot, once known as Molstad Avenue, in the centre of Edmonton's Bonnie Doon neighbourhood.

Heritage Value
History/Association: The Molstad House is significant for its association with entrepreneurship and residential development in Edmonton's pre-World War One economic boom. Built for Edward and Addie Molstad in 1912, it represents part of a larger estate which occupied five lots and once included grounds and gardens, fountains, circular drive, carriage house, and servants quarters. Mr. Molstad established the Fort George and Fraser Valley Land Company and Molstad and Company Ltd., one of Edmonton's oldest and largest real estate companies.

The property has historical significance to the community of Bonnie Doon, as both the Molstads were known for the their civic contributions to the neighbourhood. The Molstad House symbolises the contribution of the early business sector to community and civic pride in Edmonton. The Molstad House has a special association with the community because Mr. Molstad made two lots available for a neighbourhood skating rink in winter and tennis courts in summer, and Mrs. Molstad, hosted an annual children’s Christmas party. A cosmetologist and painter, Addie Molstad lived in the house until 1982.

Architecture: The house is an impressive example of an urban four-square design. The Molstad House is larger and of higher quality of design and materials than most, which is clearly exemplified by such elements as the tetra style two-storey portico with gable roof and the use of brick cladding and cedar shingles for the exterior walls.

Landmark: The Molstad House is significant as a landmark on a corner location at the centre of the neighbourhood and provides a structural link to local history.

Source: City of Edmonton Planning and Development Department (Bylaw: 10604)


Character-Defining Elements
Key character-defining elements of the four-square design of the Molstad House include:
- the symmetry of the principle facades;
- the entrance comprised of a tetra style two-storey portico and balcony;
- hip roof with bell cast eaves and hip dormers;
- double-hung windows and single-hung windows and dormers;
- the materials, brick-clad first floor and second floor wood shingles;
- widows walk and balustrade at the roof peak;
- prominent chimney.


Location



Street Address: 9633 - 95 Avenue NW
Community: Edmonton
Boundaries: Lot 8, Block 3, Plan 8622025
Contributing Resources: Buildings: 1

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
4
24
52
33
07

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel
8622025
3
8


Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
53.531816 -113.477010 Secondary Source NAD 83

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Local Governments (AB)
Designation Status: Municipal Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 1994/03/08

Historical Information

Built: 1914 To 1914
Significant Date(s) 1914 To 1954
Theme(s) Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life : Architecture and Design
Historic Function(s): Residence : Single Dwelling
Current Function(s): Residence : Single Dwelling
Architect:
Builder:
Context: This two-storey brick and wood house originally rested on five acres of land and was surrounded by circular driveway, fountains and trees. Built in 1912 for Edmonton realtor Edward H. Molstad and his wife Addie, the home became well known in the community for its annual Christmas parties for local children.
In its day it was considered ultra-modern and boasted oak panelling, hardwood floors, sculptured ceilings, brass chandeliers and an unusual fireplace in the dining room. On the second floor there were five bedrooms and two bathrooms. Living quarters for the cook, maid and other help for the Molstad's farm was in the upper portion of the house.
In 1931 the residence was converted into an apartment building, but the Molstads continued to live in part of the house. Edward H. Molstad passed away in 1953 and Addie in 1982, but their home found new life under the guiding hands of Walter and Jean Kipp, who undertook considerable renovations, restoring this wonderful home to its original glory.

Additional Information

Object Number: 4664-0104
Designation File:
Related Listing(s): 4665-0504
Heritage Survey File:
Website Link: http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/planning_development/historic-resources.aspx
Data Source: City of Edmonton, Planning and Development Department, 10250 - 101 Street, Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4 (File: HC-2308)
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2020 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility