Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





A. MacDonald Building

Edmonton

Other Names:

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place
The A. Macdonald Building is a solid four-storey rectangular pre-World War One brick warehouse. It is situated on a corner location comprised of two city lots, just north of the former CNR right-of-way that defined the northern edge of Edmonton's historic downtown core.

Heritage Value
The A. Macdonald Building is historically significant for the role it played in the history of the storage and cartage of wholesale grocery goods in Edmonton to the mid-twentieth century. It was constructed in 1913 and named for Alexander Macdonald, president of the A. Macdonald Company of Winnipeg, whose Edmonton branch became one of the three largest grocery suppliers in northern Alberta.

The A. Macdonald Building has an historical association with four significant inter-related firms, the A. Macdonald Company, H.H. Cooper and Company, Macdonald-Cooper Ltd., and Macdonald's Consolidated Limited. Macdonald Consolidated Limited had become a subsidiary of Canada Safeway Limited when the warehouse was vacated in 1965.

The A. Macdonald Building is of architectural significance as one of Edmonton's most distinguished examples of commercial warehouse architecture. A landmark in the Central McDougall area, the A. Macdonald Building retains a high level of integrity of design and historic fabric, as well as a strong relationship to its site.

Source: City of Edmonton (Bylaw: 12265)


Character-Defining Elements
- form and massing exemplified by its rectangular shape and four stories;
- the design of the building expressed on the two principal elevations including original articulation of the hard red brick walls on the south and west facades that include piers and recessed spandrels, brick corbels, and decorative diamond shaped stonework;
- patterns of fenestration and the rhythm of the structural openings on each facade;
- detailing of four ground floor arched entrance-loading docks with double loading doors above grade on the west facade which illustrate the original storage function of the building;
- classical entablature and paired rusticated pilasters flanking the main entrance;
- painted ghost wall signage identifying the corporate occupancy and function of the building on the east and north facades;
- parapet and roof flag pole over the south facade;
- building name plaque above the main entrance.


Location



Street Address: 10128 - 105 Avenue NW
Community: Edmonton
Boundaries: Lots 231 and 232, Block 1, Plan B3
Contributing Resources: Buildings: 1

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
4
24
53
5
8 (ptn.)

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel
B3
B3
1
1
232
231



Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
53.548134 -113.495181 GPS NAD 83

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Local Governments (AB)
Designation Status: Municipal Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 2000/05/09

Historical Information

Built: 1913 To 1914
Significant Date(s) 1913 To 1965
Theme(s) Developing Economies : Trade and Commerce
Historic Function(s): Commerce / Commercial Services : Warehouse
Current Function(s): Residence : Multiple Dwelling
Architect: W.A. Irish
Builder:
Context:

Additional Information

Object Number: 4664-0105
Designation File:
Related Listing(s): 4665-0832
Heritage Survey File:
Website Link: http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/planning_development/historic-resources.aspx
Data Source: City of Edmonton, Planning and Development Department, 10250 - 101 Street, Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4 (Digital File: 841142) City of Edmonton Archives, 10440 - 108 Avenue, Edmonton, AB, T5H 3Z9. (Clipping File: A. Macdonald Building; Alberta's Capital, 1914)
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2020 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility