Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Hudson's Bay Company Stables / Ortona Armoury

Edmonton

Other Names:

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place
The restored Hudson's Bay Company Stables / Ortona Armoury is a two-storey, U-shaped building with load bearing brick walls and stone detailing. It is located in Edmonton's river valley and occupies the equivalent of two city lots in Rossdale, one of Edmonton's oldest neighbourhoods.

Heritage Value
The Hudson's Bay Company Stables / Ortona Armoury is significant for its association with the Hudson's Bay Company and for its use as a military training facility during and after World War Two. A utilitarian building, it is notable as an architectural expression of design sensibility and simplicity.

The Hudson's Bay Company, one of Canada's foremost founding organizations, built the stable in 1914 to provide shelter for their teams and wagons. It was used as a stable until 1924 when the company switched to motorized vehicles. Over time the building was adapted for new uses and was associated with a number of different individuals and businesses such as, the world famous Edmonton Pure Butter Company. Its most important use has been as a military training facility and administrative quarters during and after World War Two. In 1939 the Edmonton Half Company of the Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve made the stables their permanent quarters. In 1941 the building was commissioned as a navy base and given the name Nonsuch. In 1965 the building was taken over by the Loyal Edmonton Regiment 3rd Battalion and was renamed the Ortona Armouries in commemoration of the regiments heroic battle of World War Two.

Although it was designed for use as a stable building, the careful organization of the seven bay facade, the brick details, and the carved sandstone Hudson's Bay Crest and Coat of Arms lends the building an elegance often seen in buildings of a less utilitarian nature.

Source: City of Edmonton (Bylaw 13464)


Character-Defining Elements
The character-defining elements as expressed in the form, massing, materials and style of the principal facades such as:
- the eight brick pilasters that divide the front facade into seven bays;
- the brick detailing, such as, the brick dental course above sandstone lintels on the upper floors, the round brick arches and flat arches over window openings, the brick band cornice at the parapet level;
- the stone details such as the lintels and sills;
- the hoist penthouse covered in pressed metal siding located on the southern rooftop;
- the recessed windows in the front facade;
- the stone capped parapet;
- the three carved sandstone cartouches, above the entrance bay, the centre bay and the northern bay;
- the pattern of recessed alternating double and triple windows on the front facade;
- the interior structural truss system and supporting elements;
- the interior decorative symbols in the terrazzo floor and tiles.


Location



Street Address: 9722 - 102 Street NW
Community: Edmonton
Boundaries: Lots 13 and 14, Block 2, Plan 6417AS
Contributing Resources: Buildings: 1

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
4
24
52
32
09

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel
6417 AS
6417 AS
2
2
14
13



Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
53.535213 -113.495975 Secondary Source NAD 83

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Local Governments (AB)
Designation Status: Municipal Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 2004/08/31

Historical Information

Built: 1914 To 1914
Significant Date(s) N/A
Theme(s) Developing Economies : Trade and Commerce
Historic Function(s): Defence : Military Office
Current Function(s): Commerce / Commercial Services : Studio
Architect: C.R. Sutherland (1939 Conversion)
Builder:
Context:

Additional Information

Object Number: 4664-0129
Designation File:
Related Listing(s):
Heritage Survey File:
Website Link: http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/planning_development/historic-resources.aspx
Data Source: City of Edmonton Planning and Development Department, Strategic Services, Planning and Policy Services, 6th Floor, 10250 - 101 Street NW, Edmonton, Alberta, T6J 3P4. (File: # 9999).
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2021 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility