Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Oblats Maison Provinciale

Edmonton

Other Names:

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place
The Oblats Maison Provinciale is an L-shaped three and one-half storey brick building with a cupola. Completed in 1929, it occupies one and one-half city lots next to St. Joachim's church in the central Edmonton district of Oliver.

Heritage Value
The Oblats Maison Provinciale is significant for its association with the Les Peres Oblats de Marie Immaculees Territoires de Nord Ouest, pioneering Catholic missionaries in the Canadian West. It served as their headquarters for the Ecclesiastical Province of Alberta and Saskatchewan. Completed in 1929, it provided space for offices and administrative functions, as well as residential quarters for the priests and administrators connected with the headquarters functions of the Ecclesiastical Province of Alberta and Saskatchewan. It was in continuous use for this purpose until 1997. While its Renaissance Revival architectural influences are restrained, it represents a good example of the style in Alberta.

The Oblats Maison Provinciale is also significant for serving for a time as the rectory for St. Joachim's parish, the first Roman Catholic parish in Edmonton. The St. Joachim's rectory provided the administrative home for the parish and a residence for the Oblates who served the parish.

The Oblats Maison Provinciale is a local landmark and one of a number of buildings that formed part of the area known as the "Mission Block". Built on land acquired from the Hudson's Bay Company in 1886, the mission's location, near central Edmonton, was chosen for its proximity to Edmonton's emerging francophone population. The principal buildings of the Mission Block - the Oblats Maison Provinciale, St. Joachim's church and rectory, and the Convent of the Faithful Companions of Jesus - manifested a substantial religious presence in the district of Oliver in downtown Edmonton. St. Joachim's church and the Oblats Maison Provinciale are the only surviving buildings of the Mission Block.

Source: City of Edmonton (Bylaw: 13774)


Character-Defining Elements
The character-defining elements as expressed in the form, massing and materials of the building such as:

- the original Flemish bond brick facades with brick detailing at the corners;
- the central raised pedimented door with arched door entrance and circular fan light above timber doors;
- the brick voussoirs and keystone in door arch;
- the parged exposed foundation with basement windows;
- the stone banding at the first floor level and second floor level;
- the first floor arched recessed timber sash windows with keystones and precast sills;
- the second and third floor flat arch timber sash windows with keystones and precast sills;
- the patterns of fenestration and window styles;
- the metal cornice with modillions;
- the timber veranda with square posts and detailing at the rear of the building;
- the octagonal cupola and metal cross.

Interior
The character defining elements as expressed in the original details and finishes such as:
-the vestibule lobby area including wood doors, trims and terrazzo flooring.


Location



Street Address: 9916 - 110 Street NW
Community: Edmonton
Boundaries: A portion of Lot 62 and Lot 63, Block 10, Plan B
Contributing Resources: Buildings: 1

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD






PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel
B
B
10
10
63
62 (ptn.)



Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
53.537884 -113.510805 Secondary Source NAD 83

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Local Governments (AB)
Designation Status: Municipal Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 2004/08/31

Historical Information

Built: 1928 To 1928
Significant Date(s) N/A
Theme(s)
Historic Function(s): Religion, Ritual and Funeral : Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Current Function(s): Residence : Multiple Dwelling
Architect: Edward Underwood
Builder: J. P. Desrochers
Context:

Additional Information

Object Number: 4664-0141
Designation File:
Related Listing(s):
Heritage Survey File:
Website Link: http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/planning_development/historic-resources.aspx
Data Source: City of Edmonton, Planning and Development Department, 10250 - 101 Street, Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4 (File: Designation File)
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2021 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility