Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Margaret Martin Residence

Edmonton

Other Names:

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place
The Margaret Martin Residence is a two and one-half storey plus basement brick-clad residence with wraparound verandah, located at the corner of 84 Avenue and 106 Street, in the Strathcona neighbourhood of Edmonton.

Heritage Value
The Margaret Martin Residence is valued as the first house to be built in the Martin Estate in West Strathcona, representing the development of the City of Strathcona during the boom years prior to World War One. For a number of years the settlement of Strathcona, located on the south side of the North Saskatchewan River, was Edmonton's rival in size and importance. The area was originally split into two areas. West of 99 Street - such as this area - the residents were mainly from a commercial or business background, while those east of 99 Street were generally involved in trades, or employed by Gainer's or the Canadian Pacific Railway (C.P.R.).

The Margaret Martin Residence is additionally significant for it association with Margaret Martin, who with her husband, David, were pioneers in this neighbourhood. The Martins acquired a large tract of farm land in this location west of Strathcona in 1899. David died one year later, and Margaret continued on this land with their eleven children. As the population in the area expanded, the farm was subdivided and known as Martin Estates. This grand house was built for Margaret Martin and her family circa 1907. Margaret continued to reside in the house until 1939.

Furthermore, the Margaret Martin Residence is significant as an example of the four-square style, popular during the Edwardian-era and typified by symmetrical design, generous proportions and restrained detailing. This is an early surviving example of the early work of the Magoon, Hopkins and James architectural partnership, the partners of which went on to become some of the most respected architects in western Canada. Alberta had been created in 1905, and the construction industry was booming, creating significant opportunities that drew a large number of architects to the province. Herbert Alton Magoon (1863-1941) arrived in Edmonton in 1905, the same year that Edward Colis Hopkins (1857-1941) was appointed the Provincial Architect. English-born and trained P. Leonard James (1878-1970) arrived in Edmonton in 1906, and during his two year stay won the competition for the Strathcona and Royal Alexandra Hospitals, and completed a number of significant projects. In 1908, James relocated to British Columbia where he became one of the province’s most prominent architects; the Margaret Martin Residence is one of the only buildings that survives from his short-lived partnership with Magoon and Hopkins.

Source: City of Edmonton (Bylaw 13791)


Character-Defining Elements
Key elements that define the heritage character of the Margaret Martin Residence include its:
- location on a corner lot, with associated landscape features such as two giant, mature Russian Willows;
- residential form, scale and massing, as expressed by its two and one-half storey plus basement height, two-storey bay window to the south, ground floor bay windows to the north and east, bell cast hipped roof and semi-circular dormers;
- broad roof overhangs, with closed eaves and curved decorative eave brackets;
- masonry construction, including brick cladding, and parged belt course and quoining;
- wraparound verandah with tapered square wooden columns and wooden balustrade;
- fenestration, such as: double-hung one-over-one wooden sash windows; round-headed dormer windows with pointed-arch muntins; original glazed wooden entrance door; and a bulls-eye window on the ground floor;
- interior features such as: staircases with square newels and lathe-turned balusters; six-panelled doors, some with transoms; wooden door and window trim; original hardware; wooden floors; and plaster walls.


Location



Street Address: 8324 - 106 Street NW
Community: Edmonton
Boundaries: Lot 31, Block 82, Plan 499KS
Contributing Resources: Buildings: 1
Landscape(s) or Landscape Feature(s): 2

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
4
24
52
29
10 (ptn.)

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel
499 KS
82
31


Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
53.519856 -113.503807 Secondary Source NAD83

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Local Governments (AB)
Designation Status: Municipal Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 2005/04/19

Historical Information

Built: 1907 To 1907
Significant Date(s) 1907 To 1939
Theme(s) Peopling the Land : Settlement
Historic Function(s): Residence : Single Dwelling
Current Function(s): Residence : Single Dwelling
Architect: Magoon, Hopkins and James
Builder:
Context: The Margaret Martin Residence is valued as the first house to be built in the Martin Estate in West Strathcona, representing the development of the City of Strathcona during the boom years prior to World War I. The community and environmental context remain much as they were when the building was constructed. There are still a few of the grand residences and institutions in close proximity including the nearby 1912 Bard Residence and the 1907 Strathcona Collegiate Institute.

The Margaret Martin Residence is significant as an example of the four-square style, popular during the Edwardian era and typified by symmetrical design, generous proportions and restrained detailing. This is an early surviving example of the early work of the Magoon, Hopkins & James architectural partnership, the partners of which went on to become some of the most respected architects in western Canada. Alberta had been created in 1905, and the construction industry was booming, creating significant opportunities that drew a large number of architects to the province. The context for this significance criterion remains and the centre of Old Strathcona will receive historic district status owing to its high concentration of historic resources.

Additional Information

Object Number: 4664-0153
Designation File:
Related Listing(s):
Heritage Survey File:
Website Link: http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/planning_development/historic-resources.aspx
Data Source: City of Edmonton, Planning and Development Department, 10250 - 101 Street, Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4 (File: 659726)
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2020 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility