Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Ingebert Olson Residence is a two-and-a-half storey wood frame residential building. Constructed in the foursquare style, the residence is located on a large corner lot situated on the south side of 112 Avenue in the Cromdale neighbourhood. South of the residence is a park area and Rat Creek.
The Ingebert Olson Residence is significant for its foursquare residential style of architecture. This house is also significant for its association with William Gladstone Brown.
Built in 1914, the Ingebert Olson Residence is valued for its foursquare architectural style, a form of residential design common across the prairies before 1920. Foursquares in Edmonton were solid looking houses that projected modest dignity. In common two-storey versions, the interiors typically consisted of three to four equal sized rooms on the main floor with the bathroom and bedrooms on the second floor. This house was built for or by Ingebert Olson, a farmer, who lived here until 1917, at which time it was purchased by William Gladstone Brown, who lived here until 1939.
Brown originally arrived in Edmonton in 1904, intending to settle on his 640-acre parcel of land in Athabasca Landing. Unfortunately the land proved to be nothing but muskeg. He returned to Edmonton and started a construction business with William Hargrave called Brown Hargrave. This company was known for having built the First Presbyterian Church in 1911 at 10025 - 105 Street. This timber frame foursquare home clad in cedar lap siding and shingles is characterized by its square shape, symmetrical massing, hipped roof, full front verandah, and upper balcony topped with a front gabled roof with a small arched window.
Source: City of Edmonton Planning and Development Department Electronic Files #659506
The foursquare design and architecture of the Ingebert Olson Residence is expressed in character-defining elements such as:
- form, scale and massing;
- foursquare style with symmetrical massing;
- square hipped roof with wide bracketed eaves complete with closed soffits finished with v-joint boards;
- painted cedar lap siding on the first storey, painted cedar shingles on the second storey and trim
- open front verandah, upper balcony with gable roof with small arched window;
- fenestration, including large main floor window openings, east piano windows and large bay window in dining room;
- original wood double-hung window sash on main and upper floors featuring upper sashes that have 4 vertical panes with a criss-cross "X" tracery pattern;
- interior hard wood floors, trim work, hallway staircase and dining room fireplace;
- brick chimney;
- scribed foundation parging.