Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP Glossary
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Other Names:

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place
The St. Laurence Anglican Church is a Municipal Historic Resource located on three lots at the corner of Regent Street and Alberta Avenue in the Hamlet of Monitor in Special Area Four. The property features a small, wood-framed church constructed in 1915.

Heritage Value
The St. Laurence Anglican Church is valued for its association with the settlement of the Hamlet of Monitor and the surrounding area. Constructed in 1915 for the Anglican parish, the church quickly became a nucleus for the growing community. The Methodist and Lutheran congregations periodically held services here as well. The building also served several secular functions: public school classes were taught here until a schoolhouse was built, a public library operated from the building and both the Boy Scouts and the Red Cross met here.

The St. Laurence Anglican Church is also valued for its historic use as an Anglican Church. The church has been home to the local Anglican parish for nearly a century. Several generations witnessed the baptisms, marriages and funerals of parishioners in this place. During both World Wars special services of intercession for victory were held here, and then following each war a service of thanksgiving was celebrated. The Honor Roll, unveiled at the Armistice service in 1921, is inscribed with the names of 318 local men who served in the Great War.

Source: Special Areas Board Order No. 11/09

Character-Defining Elements
The heritage value of the St. Laurence Anglican Church resides in the following character-defining elements:

Those elements associated with the settlement of the area, such as:

- form and massing;

- lath and plaster walls;

- plank floors in the vestibule;

- original burlap wainscotting;

- open post and beam cedar ceiling;

- original floor and wall material;

- the Honor Roll naming First World War veterans from the area;

- the large interior space used for meetings;

- flag pole on top of the bell tower;

- orientation on its original lot.

Those elements associated with its use as an Anglican church, such as:

- bell tower with crenellated top, and pointed, arched louvered windows;

- original door with arched transom window above;

- three pointed, arched windows on the north and south sides;

- cross on the east end of the nave roof;

- small vestibule with library cupboard and coat hooks;

- double entrance doors to nave;

- hymn book shelves at the back of the nave, with a bench below;

- baptismal font of Bedford limestone;

- a framed copy of The Lord’s Prayer on the west wall of the nave;

- 12 pews complete with kneelers and book racks;

- prayer desk and lectern;

- choir pews;

- communion rails;

- raised altar;

- panels inscribed with The Lord’s Prayer and The Creed flanking the altar;

- original Sanctuary shelf;

- hymn board;

- intricate gold stenciling around three sides of the chancel;

- door to vestry from right side of the chancel;

- pointed, arched stained-glass window which depicts Christ as “The Light of the World” above the altar.


Street Address:
Community: Monitor
Boundaries: Plan 3708 AP, Block 4, Lots 29 to 31 inclusive
Contributing Resources: Buildings: 1

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel
29-31 inclusive

Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
51.978624 -110.56872 Secondary Source NAD83

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type


Recognition Authority: Local Governments (AB)
Designation Status: Municipal Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 2009/06/09

Historical Information

Built: 1915 to 1915
Significant Date(s) N/A
Theme(s) Building Social and Community Life : Religious Institutions
Historic Function(s): Religion, Ritual and Funeral : Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Current Function(s): Religion, Ritual and Funeral : Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Additional Information

Object Number: 4664-0202
Designation File:
Related Listing(s): 4665-0625
Heritage Survey File: HS 36944
Website Link:
Data Source: Special Areas Board 212 - 2nd Avenue West P.O. Box 820 HANNA AB T0J 1P0
Return to Search Results Printable Version

Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.

Home    Search    Site Map    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2013 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility