Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Roland School

Consort, Near

Other Names:

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place
Roland School is a Municipal Historic Resource situated near the south-east corner of the north-east quarter of section 22, in township 33 and range 6, west of the 4 meridian in Special Area 4. The site features a wood-frame one room school house constructed in 1913.

Heritage Value
The Roland School is valued for its historic use as a school between 1913 and 1933 and its status as the first purpose built schoolhouse in the area. The families that settled this area formed a school district shortly after homesteading. The Roland School District commissioned this building in 1913 and ran a public school from it for the next twenty years. The community’s children learned to read, write and do arithmetic here. Much of what they learned helped them and their families settle into their new homeland.

The Roland School is also valued for its historic use as a community hall. Due to its central location and relatively large size, the building also served as a community hall. Between 1913 and the early 1960s the building was used regularly as a voting station, a venue for Christmas Concerts, sports days, dances and even a hospital.

The Roland School is also valued for its design. This district used a schoolhouse design (plan 1B) approved by the, Victor William Horwood, Manitoba’s Provincial Architect. Like all one room schools built from standardized plans, this building includes a large panel of windows, good ventilation, a spacious classroom, separate cloakrooms, blackboards and appropriate heating for winter. These design features were thought to facilitate teaching and learning.

Special Areas Board Order 10/09.


Character-Defining Elements
The heritage value of the Roland School resides in the following character -defining elements:

those elements associational with its use as a one-room school, such as:
- the large classroom,
- the blackboard with molded chalk rail,
- the furnace,
- the two out houses located at the rear of the lot; and

those elements associated with its use as a community hall, such as:
- its location on its original site,
- its rural context; and

those elements reflecting the schoolhouse’s design, such as:
- the building’s form and massing,
- separate cloakrooms,
- the large windows,
- the pressed metal ceiling,
- the wainscoting with molded base,
- the building’s orientation on its lot.


Location



Street Address: Approximately 10 miles south of Consort on Highway 886
Community: Consort, Near
Boundaries: Portion of NE 22-33-6-W4
Contributing Resources: Buildings: 1

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
4
6
33
22
09

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel

Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
51.845710 -110.761722 Digital Maps NAD83

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Local Governments (AB)
Designation Status: Municipal Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 2009/06/09

Historical Information

Built: 1913/01/01
Significant Date(s) 1913 to c.1960
Theme(s) Building Social and Community Life : Education and Social Well-Being
Historic Function(s): Education : One-Room School
Current Function(s): Leisure : Historic or Interpretive Site
Architect:
Builder:
Context:

Additional Information

Object Number: 4664-0246
Designation File:
Related Listing(s):
Heritage Survey File:
Website Link:
Data Source: Special Areas Board 212-2nd Avenue West P.O. Box 820 HANNA AB T0J 1P0
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2020 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility