Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





St. Mary's Ukrainian Catholic Church

Westlock

Other Names:
Dormition of the Theotokos Ukrainian Catholic Church, Waugh
Old St. Mary's Ukrainian Catholic Church
Ruthenian Greek Catholic Parish of Uspenije

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place
Constructed 1938-1940, St. Mary's Ukrainian Catholic Church is a large wood frame church built on a cruciform plan featuring one large and two small onion shaped domes capped with metal crosses in byzantine tradition. The church sits on a 4 acre parcel of land which includes a bell tower, a cemetery and the smaller "old" St. Mary's Church, built from 1905-1907.

Heritage Value
The heritage value lies in its historic connection with the early settlement of the area, and for its architecture influence by Byzantine and Slavic Church styles. It is also significant for its association with Theodore Baran, a noted local iconographer and painter of churches.

Waugh was formally known as North Vermilia and acquired its current name from two brothers who settled in the area in 1902. The original church is a modest, simplistic design of the Byzantine architecture and was the first Greek Catholic church built north of Edmonton as of 1910. It was built with the sanctuary facing east and the vestibule to the west on the same siter the current church occupies. The two churches and the general store are all that remains of the original settlement. The old St. Mary's Church was moved to the east side of the property to make room for the construction of the new church. The church bell was purchased in 1921 from ther Meneely Bell Co. Troy N.Y. The bell tower was built to house the bell. the bell is engraved with the name of the parish, in Ukrainian along with the date 1921. The St. Mary's Church is a distinctive and impressive silhouette as a highly visible symbol of the continuity of religios adherence and devotional expression in the dfistrict for over a hundred years. The site also has landmark value as mile 42 on the Athabasca landing Trail. St. Mary's is architecturally significant as one of the few last wood frame churches built. It has a traditional cruciform plan with a large open onion shaped dome. the sanctuary is an important example of Theodore Baran's work who painted the interior in 1957. St. Mary's is one of the eight churches he worked on in Alberta.


Character-Defining Elements
The character-defining elements of the St. Mary's Church include such features as:

Exterior:

-The cruciform plan, scale and massing including the transepts;

- Large, open, octagon shape dome clad with galvanized sheet metal capped by a cupola terminating with an elaborate metal cross;

-The sanctuary containing an apse flanked by a sacristy;

-The complex roof line comprised of gable and hip roof elements with consistent eaves;

-Patterns of fenestration, including the large arched single hung windows with segments of colored glass forming the shape of a cross;

Interior:

-Vaulted ceilings in the open dome nave the choir loft located over the narthex with access from the interior;

-Interior finishings of laminated plywood depicting saints, the navity, and the Virgin Mary on the walls and ceilings;

-The original mouldings, door and window wood trim;

-Original liturgical elements;

-Iconic and decorative elements, especially those painted by Theodore Baran.


Location



Street Address: 2 - 23520 Township Road 584
Community: Westlock
Boundaries: Portion of SW 30-58-23-W4
Contributing Resources: Buildings: 3

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
4
23
58
30


PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel

Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Local Governments (AB)
Designation Status: Municipal Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 2011/07/14

Historical Information

Built:
Significant Date(s) N/A
Theme(s) Building Social and Community Life : Religious Institutions
Historic Function(s): Religion, Ritual and Funeral : Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Current Function(s): Religion, Ritual and Funeral : Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect: Theodore Baran
Builder: Peter Bociak
Context: The St. Mary's Church is a distinctive and impressive silhouette as a highly visible symbol of the continuity of religious adherence and devotional expression in the district for over a hundred years. The site also has landmark value as mile 42 on the Athabasca Landing Trail. The church is archtecturally significant as one of the few last wood frame churches built. It has a traditional cruciform plan with a large open onion shaped dome, The sanctuary is an important example of Theodore Baran's work who painted the interior in 1957. St. Mary's is one of the 8 churches he worked on in Alberta.

Additional Information

Object Number: 4664-0252
Designation File:
Related Listing(s): 4665-0710
Heritage Survey File: HS 43359
Website Link: www.westlockcounty.com
Data Source: Westlock County 10336-106 St. Westlock Alberta T7P2G1 (18-2011)
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2021 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility