Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





St. John's Presbyterian Church, Medicine Hat, AB

Medicine Hat

Other Names:

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place
The St. John’s Presbyterian Church is a brick and sandstone structure executed in Gothic Revival style with a prominent square tower, and octagon pinnacle which frame the main façade with its pointed arch windows. It is located on a prominent intersection in the City’s centre. The front façade is largely concealed by a later addition which wraps around the south, east and north sides of the Church. The front façade has two recently added brick murals by local artist James Marshall.

Heritage Value
The heritage value of St. John’s Presbyterian Church lies in its status as the oldest church building in Medicine Hat, and the home of the City’s oldest religious congregation. Presbyterians held Medicine Hat’s first religious service in 1883, and this congregation was formally organized in 1884 and began services on the present site. The current church building was constructed in 1902. St. John’s is also valued as the congregation to which many of the community’s founders and their families belonged.

Character-Defining Elements
The character-defining elements include:

• Gothic Revival style detailing executed in load bearing brick and sandstone structure

• Prominent corner square tower with central spire and four (4) corner pinnacles

• Prominent, but smaller, octagon pinnacle

• Pointed arched lancet windows with cathedral leaded glass

• Engaged buttresses

• Small round brick vent details

• Two recent brick murals (James Marshall)

• Sanctuary volume including the arches and ornamental details to the ceiling


Location



Street Address: 504 - 2 Street SE
Community: Medicine Hat
Boundaries: Lots 37 to 40, Block 5, Plan 1491
Contributing Resources: Buildings: 1

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
4
5
12
31
10

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel

Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
50°02'24.34" 110°40'42.30" Digital Maps NAD83

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Local Governments (AB)
Designation Status: Municipal Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 2011/09/20

Historical Information

Built: 1902-1902
Significant Date(s) N/A
Theme(s) Building Social and Community Life : Religious Institutions
Historic Function(s): Religion, Ritual and Funeral : Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Current Function(s): Religion, Ritual and Funeral : Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect: George M. Lang
Builder: Charles Purmal
Context: Medicine Hat Theme, Spiritual Life in Medicine Hat

Context Statement, Long-standing parishes with strong ties tothe local community

Additional Information

Object Number: 4664-0290
Designation File:
Related Listing(s):
Heritage Survey File:
Website Link: https://www.medicinehat.ca
Data Source: City of Medicine Hat Planning, Building, and Development Services Department, 580 1 Street SE, Medicine Hat, AB T1A8E6
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2020 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility