Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints / Red Cross Building

Lethbridge

Other Names:

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place
The one-storey brick-clad Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has a pediment gable roof, corbelled semi-circular arch window surrounds with cast concrete keystones and springstones, pilasters with pressed metal capitals on the side and rear facades, a portico supported by brick columns with pressed metal capital, soffit and frieze, and a corbelled semi-circular brick door surround with a large keystone over the front entrance. It is located on a residential street in the city of Lethbridge.

Heritage Value
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is significant for its association with the Mormon pioneers who settled in southern Alberta, for its association with the Red Cross, and for its Greek Revival architectural design.

This Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints building is the first Mormon Church built in Lethbridge; prior to its construction the congregation met at the Sons of England Hall (now Masonic Hall on 10th Street S.). In 1898, Charles Alexander Magrath and Elliott T. Galt appealed to the officials of the Mormon Church in Salt Lake, Utah, to encourage Mormon settlers with irrigation experience to homestead in southern Alberta. By 1912, there were approximately fifty members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the city of Lethbridge, and the Lethbridge Ward of the Taylor Stake of the church was organized with Brigham S. Young as bishop. Construction of the basement of this building began in 1913. The onset of World War I delayed the completion of the building and a temporary roof was built over the basement to provide a space to hold services. The first service was held in the church basement in 1914. The building was completed in 1918 and served as a Mormon Church until 1943.

This building is also significant for its association with the Red Cross. The Lethbridge Branch of the Canadian Red Cross Society was organized by Linda Gibson and Mrs. Cranston in 1912 to provide assistance to the needy. The Red Cross relocated from their previous location in the Royal Conservatory of Music building (also known as the Spudnut Shop at 1102 – 5th Avenue South) when they purchased the church in 1943. The new location allowed the society to expand the scope of their activities, which included gathering and delivering clothing and food, organizing blood donor clinics and first aid and safety courses, and managing International Aid campaigns.
This building is significant for its Greek Revival architectural design influences. It was designed by Lethbridge architect George E. Noble for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Greek Revival was popular in Utah at the time of construction, and the strong Mormon ties to Utah no doubt had an influence on the design. Greek Revival design elements evident in the building include the pediment gable roof, the portico supported by brick columns with capitals, and pilasters with capitals between the windows on the side facades imitating pillars in classical Greek architecture.


Character-Defining Elements
The character defining elements as expressed in the form, massing, and materials of the 1913/1918 one-storey building include:

-The pediment gable roof
-The portico supported by brick columns with pressed metal capitals
-The pressed metal soffits and frieze
-The brick pilasters with pressed metal capitals between the windows on the side and rear façades
-The corbelled semi-circular brick window surrounds with cast concrete sills, springstones and keystones
-The corbelled semi-circular brick main entrance door surround with a cast concrete keystone
-The poured concrete foundation


Location



Street Address: 1122 7th Avenue South
Community: Lethbridge
Boundaries: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints / Red Cross Building located at 1122 - 7 Avenue South, Lethbridge on Plan 5728S, Block 6, Lots 5 and 6.
Contributing Resources: Buildings: 1

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel
5725S
6
5, 6


Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type
5505666.9 368100.8 NAD83

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Local Governments (AB)
Designation Status: Municipal Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 2012/01/01

Historical Information

Built: 1913-1918
Significant Date(s) 1913-2011
Theme(s)
Historic Function(s): Religion, Ritual and Funeral : Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Current Function(s):
Architect:
Builder:
Context:

Additional Information

Object Number: 4664-0321
Designation File:
Related Listing(s):
Heritage Survey File:
Website Link:
Data Source: City of Lethbridge 910 - 4th Avenue South, Lethbridge, Alberta T1J 0P6
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Search    Site Map    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2013 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility