Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





A.E. Cross House

Calgary

Other Names:
A. E. Cross Residence
AE Cross Residence
Alfred E. Cross Residence
Alfred Ernest Cross House
Cross House

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place
The A.E. Cross House is a two-storey frame building on seven lots bordering the Bow River in the historic "Old Town" area of East Calgary. The home features a hip roof with cross gables and a "widow's walk", clapboard siding, and gingerbread trim. The site includes a large garden and lawn area to the west of the house which includes trees and shrubs.

Heritage Value
The heritage value of the A.E. Cross House lies in its association with Alfred Ernest Cross, a prominent Calgary entrepreneur and politician, its unique architectural style, and its landmark status.

Born and raised in Montreal, A.E. Cross arrived in the Calgary area in 1884. He led a prolific and profitable life as a rancher, brewer, oilman, and entrepreneur in Western Canada. His accomplishments included owning one of the largest of Alberta's early ranches, founding of the Calgary Brewing and Malting Company, and belonging to the "Big Four" who established the Calgary Stampede. Politics was also an important part of Cross' legacy. First elected to the Territorial Legislature in the late 1890s, he was one of the two representatives for Calgary in the first Legislative Assembly of Alberta.

The A.E. Cross House was built in 1891 and acquired by Cross eight years later. The home is one of Calgary's oldest residences and manifests several unusual architectural elements typical of the time. These include the hip roof, sandstone foundation, "widow's walk" balustrade, and gingerbread trim. Such embellishments reflect the sensibilities of Calgary's wealthier citizens in the late Victorian period. The building remains a significant local landmark in the city's historic "Old Town" area.

Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch (File: Des. 346)


Character-Defining Elements
The character-defining elements of the A.E. Cross House include such features as:
- asymmetrical form and massing;
- wood-shingled hip roof with cross gables and "widow's walk";
- clapboard siding and gingerbread trim;
- sandstone foundation;
- fenestration style and pattern, including bay window banks on front and side facades;
- dark fir trim, hardwood flooring, and original plaster walls;
- brick fireplaces;
- vault in basement;
- stairs, fir railings newel posts and balusters;
- large lawn and garden area to the west of the residence, including tress and shrubs.



Location



Street Address: 1240 - 8 Avenue SE
Community: Calgary
Boundaries: Lots 28 to 34, Block 3, Plan A3
Contributing Resources: Buildings: 1

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
5
1
24
14
7 (ptn.)

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel
A3
A3
A3
A3
A3
A3
A3
3
3
3
3
3
3
3
34
33
32
31
30
29
28








Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
51.042443 -114.033958 GPS NAD 83

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Province of Alberta
Designation Status: Provincial Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 1977/11/29

Historical Information

Built: 1891 to 1891
Significant Date(s)
Theme(s) Developing Economies : Trade and Commerce
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life : Architecture and Design
Governing Canada : Politics and Political Processes
Historic Function(s): Residence : Single Dwelling
Current Function(s): Residence : Single Dwelling
Architect:
Builder:
Context: HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE

The A.E. Cross House is a two-storey, frame building with a sandstone foundation, gingerbread trim, hip roof, and widow's walk. Constructed in 1891, this is one of Calgary's oldest residences. The house is most significant for its association with A.E. Cross, who purchased it in 1889. He was a member of the Territorial Legislature, a pioneer rancher, brewer, oilman, and one of the founders of the Calgary Exhibition and Stampede.

(AHRF Summary)

Additional Information

Object Number: 4665-0543
Designation File: DES 0346
Related Listing(s):
Heritage Survey File: HS 27553
Website Link:
Data Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 346)
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2020 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility