Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Crawford House (Dietrich)

Medicine Hat

Other Names:
Crawford (Dietrich) Residence
Dietrich House
Dietrich Residence

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place


Heritage Value


Character-Defining Elements


Location



Street Address: 9 - 1 Street SW
Community: Medicine Hat
Boundaries: Plan 23560, Block B, Lots 1 and 2
Contributing Resources: N/A

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
4
4
4
4
6
6
6
6
12
12
12
12
36
36
36
36
01
02
07
08

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel
23560
23560
B
B
2
1



Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
50.038230 -110.687338

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Province of Alberta
Designation Status: Registered Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 1988/08/29

Historical Information

Built: 1901 to 1901
Significant Date(s) 1896 to 1915
Theme(s)
Historic Function(s):
Current Function(s):
Architect:
Builder:
Context: HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE

This two and one-half storey, hipped-roof brick house was built for local businessman and community figure, William Crawford. William Crawford came to Medicine Hat from Camlacakie, Ontario in 1884. He remained in Medicine Hat where he worked as a conductor for the Canadian Pacific Railway until his retirement at age fifty. He was very involved in community affairs, serving as the President of the Liberal Association, Royal Arch Masons, Bicycle Club and Whist Club, and Vice President of the Lawn Tennis Club. He was an elder in the St. John's Presbyterian Church, and a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Shriners. Mr. Crawford was on the board of Directors of the Medicine Hat General Hospital serving as Secretary Treasurer during the construction of the Victoria Nurses' Residence for which he personally canvassed the city for funds. His real estate investments included the premises of the Medicine Hat News, the Medicine Hat Team Laundry Co. Ltd., the Green Lantern, the Taber Candy Company, the Glasgow House, a greenhouse, some cottages and a farm.

Incorporating a unique angular gable extension, wrap around veranda, sun-burst millwork, scalloped barge boards and other features, Crawford house represents a fine residential structure from the city's first great boom period, between 1896 and 1915. The design of the Crawford Residence has been derived from the Queen Anne Style which was originally based in the rural English country house of the Elizabethan period. The aspects of the Crawford Residence, which reflect the influence of this style, include its asymmetrical plan and the wrap-around veranda. Homes, which resemble the Crawford, were built in other areas of the province until the late 1920s, particularly in more affluent neighbourhoods.

Additional Information

Object Number: 4665-0597
Designation File: DES 1541
Related Listing(s):
Heritage Survey File: HS 16753
Website Link: N/A
Data Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 1541)
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2020 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility