Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Bergstrom Residence

Wetaskiwin

Other Names:
Toews Residence

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place


Heritage Value


Character-Defining Elements


Location



Street Address: 4714 - 48 Avenue
Community: Wetaskiwin
Boundaries: Plan M-8, Block 61, Lot 13
Contributing Resources: N/A

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
4
24
46
14
9 (ptn.)

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel
M-8
61
13


Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
52.967412 -113.367531 GPS NAD 83

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Province of Alberta
Designation Status: Registered Historic Resource Rescinded
Date of Designation: 1989/05/29

Historical Information

Built: 1907 to 1907
Significant Date(s)
Theme(s)
Historic Function(s): Residence : Single Dwelling
Current Function(s):
Architect:
Builder:
Context: HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE

The Bergstrom Residence was constructed in 1907 during a building boom, and was subsequently occupied by a succession of Wetaskiwin and business people. The first resident of this house was John Edward Johnson, a Wetaskiwin painter who purchased the lot in July 1907. Karl Wagner, a farmer from Forget, Saskatchewan and his family owned the house from 1909 until 1912, when Christian Bleiler became owner. The Bleiler family was known in Wetaskiwin through the activities of John Bleiler, an insurance agent who proposed the Buck Lake area.

In April 1917 two Americans assumed the mortgage, Frances C. Bowers and Charles Deland Youngs, who retained ownership until February 14, 1918 when it was reverted to the city of Westaskiwin and the Merchants Bank of Canada due to non-payment of taxes and mortgage default.

In November 1919 the house was purchased by Edward Bye, who occupied the residence for the longest period of time. Bye started work for the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) in 1898 as a section man, worked his way up to section foreman, and finally road master in 1913, a position he retained until his retirement in 1940. He moved out four years later, selling to Herbert Anderson. Herbert C. Anderson was perhaps the best-known resident. In 1932 he graduated B.Ph., was awarded the Alberta Pharmaceutical Association Gold Medal, and became a pharmacist at Northern Drug Store. Five years later he left to operate Driard Pharmacy in the Driard Block, which he did until 1950. Anderson then bought an interest in Pahal's Wetaskiwin Sales and Service, where he became business manager. As a trustee of S.D. No. 264 he was influential in raising a loan to turn the Canadian Army Base Training Centre hospital into a ten-room high school, which opened in 1948. He became school board chairman during the early 1950s. However, Anderson is still best remembered as the manufacturer and distributor of his own-patented cold cure, 'twin drops'.

Hugo Bergstrom, a local farmer, purchased the house in April 1959 and in December 1974 it became the property of Annie Margaret Bergstrom.

The historical significance of the Bergstrom Residence is therefore associated with the early growth of Wetaskiwin, but not in connection with any prominent original owner or event. In later years, occupants like Bye and Anderson maintained locally significant profiles, but in general the occupants represented the mainstream of Wetaskiwin development.

Additional Information

Object Number: 4665-0658
Designation File: DES 1511
Related Listing(s):
Heritage Survey File: HS 32202
Website Link:
Data Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 1511)
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2022 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility