Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Holden, Near

Other Names:
Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (South Holden)
Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ukrainian Catholic Church
St. Mary's South Holden Church
U. C. C. of Presentation
Vvedennia v Khram Prechystoi Bohorodytsi
UCC of Presentation

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place


Heritage Value


Character-Defining Elements


Location



Street Address:
Community: Holden, Near
Boundaries: Portion of the southwest quarter of Section 10, Township 48, Range 16, West of the Fourth Meridian.
Contributing Resources:

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
4
16
48
10
5 (ptn.)

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel

Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
53.126507 -112.269269 GPS NAD 83

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Province of Alberta
Designation Status: Registered Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 1994/10/25

Historical Information

Built: 1916/01/01 To 1916/01/01
Significant Date(s) N/A
Theme(s)
Historic Function(s): Religion, Ritual and Funeral : Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Current Function(s):
Architect:
Builder:
Context: HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE

This church and bell tower was constructed in 1916 to serve a growing congregation in the Holden area. The church structure and Byzantine design are typical of the area and the period. The greatest historical interest in this church lies in its richly decorated interior and furnishings. Many of the icons in the church are painted by the noted religious artist Peter Lipinski. Lipinski also painted and stencilled the interior of the building. The iconostas, which separates the sanctuary from the congregation, is a particularly fine example of the woodworker and painter's craft.

The church served as a religious and community centre for Ukrainian settlers south of Holden from 1916 on, and it remains one of the oldest surviving structures in the area. It is still used as a church reflecting the strength of its community associations, and providing a direct link to the early homesteading period in this part of east central Alberta.

Additional Information

Object Number: 4665-0662
Designation File: DES 1754
Related Listing(s):
Heritage Survey File: HS 65318
Website Link:
Data Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 1754)
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2019 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility