Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





O'Connor / Farnell Residence, "The Graenon"

Edmonton

Other Names:
Graenon House
Graenon Residence
Judge O'Connor House
Judge O'Connor Residence
O'Connor / Farnell House
O'Connor / Farnell Residence
O'Connor Farnell House
O'Connor Farnell Residence
O'Connor House
O'Connor Residence
The Graenon
O'Connor Farnell Residence

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place


Heritage Value


Character-Defining Elements


Location



Street Address: 36 St. George's Crescent NW
Community: Edmonton
Boundaries: Plan 2804 AF, Block 133, Lots 25 and 26
Contributing Resources: N/A

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
4
4
4
4
25
25
25
25
52
52
52
52
36
36
36
36
09
10
15
16

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel
2804 AF
2804 AF
133
133
26
25



Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
53.540997 -113.551777

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Province of Alberta
Designation Status: Registered Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 1993/01/05

Historical Information

Built: 1914 to 1914
Significant Date(s)
Theme(s)
Historic Function(s): Residence : Single Dwelling
Current Function(s):
Architect:
Builder:
Context: HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE

This Old Glenora Mansion was constructed in 1914 from plans printed in The Ladies Home Journal. Actual construction was undertaken by Morrison and Fairlie, local Edmonton contractors for George Bligh O'Connor, a prominent Edmonton lawyer. O'Connor had a distinguished career in law and public service. In 1940 he was appointed to the Trial Division of the Supreme Court of Alberta and in 1950 he became Alberta's second Chief Justice. During World War Two he was appointed Chairman of the Wartime Labour Relations Board by the Mackenzie King government. This board would outlive the war and still operates as Canada's Labour Relations Board.

Margaret O'Connor also worked briefly as one of the first women reporters in Alberta. She was a member of the Canadian Women's Press Club as early as 1913. Their daughter Peggy Farnell served during World War Two with a branch of William Stevenson's security services, and later as a librarian at the University of Alberta. She also has published a book on the history of the Glenora area.

This large and gracious Glenora mansion reflects the wealth of Edmonton's pre-World War One professional and business elite, and is an interesting example of a variation on British Tudor house styles.

Additional Information

Object Number: 4665-0686
Designation File: DES 1797
Related Listing(s):
Heritage Survey File: HS 56305
Website Link: N/A
Data Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 1797)
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2021 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility