Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





McGregor / Coote House

Edmonton

Other Names:
Coote / McGregor House
Coote Residence

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place


Heritage Value


Character-Defining Elements


Location



Street Address: 11209 - 127 Street
Community: Edmonton
Boundaries: Plan 4990 U, Block 7, portion of Lot 19
Contributing Resources:

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
4
4
4
4
4
4
4
4
24
24
24
24
24
24
24
24
53
53
53
53
53
53
53
53
7
7
7
7
7
7
7
7
03
04
05
06
11
12
13
14

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel
4990 U
7
19 (ptn.)


Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
53.560959 -113.540720

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Province of Alberta
Designation Status: Registered Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 1989/05/31

Historical Information

Built: 1914/01/01 To 1914/01/01
Significant Date(s) N/A
Theme(s)
Historic Function(s): Residence : Single Dwelling
Current Function(s):
Architect:
Builder:
Context: HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE

Constructed in 1914 by Charles L. Coote, this house was located in what was the far west end of the city just beginning development at the end of Edmonton's boom. A number of individuals who played important roles in the social history of Edmonton subsequently occupied the house. Lloyd Wood, for example, who resided in the house in 1921, came to Edmonton in 1914 as physical director with the YMCA.

Mr. Wood quickly became a leader in the community and a founding member of the Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues. Locally, he was instrumental in the establishment of the first public skating rink. In the larger community, Wood chaired the Royal Alexander Hospital Board for ten years and presided over the Edmonton Maritimers Association, the first Maritimers Association in Canada. Thomas Hunter Wells, barrister, occupied the house in 1925. He was born in Ontario and raised in Saskatchewan, but obtained his law degree from the University of Alberta in 1917. He also was active in the community league movement, serving on the Westmount Community League executive in 1925. An active member of McDougall United Church, he served on the Senate of St. Stephen's College. Reflecting both the climax of the building boom in Edmonton before World War One, and the development of Edmonton's community institutions, the McGregor / Coote residence provides a 75 year retrospective look in the modern city.

Additional Information

Object Number: 4665-0693
Designation File: DES 1659
Related Listing(s):
Heritage Survey File: HS 32787
Website Link:
Data Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 1659)
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2019 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility