Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Ferris Residence

Edmonton

Other Names:
Dr. W. D. Ferris Residence

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place


Heritage Value


Character-Defining Elements


Location



Street Address: 12704 - 102 Avenue
Community: Edmonton
Boundaries: Plan 2803 AF, Block 120, Lot 9
Contributing Resources: N/A

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
4
4
4
4
4
4
4
4
25
25
25
25
25
25
25
25
53
53
53
53
53
53
53
53
6
6
6
6
6
6
6
6
03
04
05
06
11
12
13
14

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel
2803 AF
120
9


Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
53.543318 -113.542413

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Province of Alberta
Designation Status: Registered Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 1993/01/05

Historical Information

Built: 1911/01/01 To 1911/01/01
Significant Date(s) N/A
Theme(s)
Historic Function(s): Residence : Single Dwelling
Current Function(s):
Architect:
Builder:
Context: HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE

This home was one of the original 'mansions' of Old Glenora. Located directly across from Government house, it boasts a spectacular view of the river valley from upstairs. In 1911, this large brick house was built at 12704 - 102 Avenue, close to the Iron Bridge and directly across the street from the Government House gates. Built for Dr. Ferris by his brother, the home was intended for use both as a single family dwelling as well as the inclusion of an office for his medical practice.

Dr. Ferris, one of Edmonton's leading physicians, died from heart failure in August of 1927. Originally from Shelbourne, Ontario, Ferris came to Edmonton in 1902 when he established his practice but was also prominent on the school board and he was a member of the first senate at the University of Alberta. He served as Chief Medical Officer of the Shorncliff Military Hospital in England during World War One and at the conclusion, returned to Edmonton to continue his practice. His widow continued to live in the house and she was also active in civic affairs through the Local Council of Women, the Edmonton School Board, the Women's Canadian Club, the YMCA and the IDOE. She served as the first female superintendent of Canteens for the United Kingdom Canteen Board during World War One. She died in January 1962.

At Mrs. Ferris' death, the house was sold to the Catholic order of St. Alphonsus Liguori, the Redemptorists, who used the house as a residence and the provincial headquarters for western Canada.

Additional Information

Object Number: 4665-0700
Designation File: DES 1772
Related Listing(s):
Heritage Survey File: HS 54620
Website Link: N/A
Data Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 1772)
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2019 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility