Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Superintendent R.B. Deane House (Dandelion Workshop)

Calgary

Other Names:
Captain Deane House
Dandelion Gallery
Dandelion Workshop (Gallery)
Deane House
Deane Residence
Superintendent R. B. Deane Residence
Superintendent RB Deane Residence

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place


Heritage Value


Character-Defining Elements


Location



Street Address: 806 - 9 Avenue SE
Community: Calgary
Boundaries: Plan 751 0100, Block 2, Lot 2
Contributing Resources:

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
5
5
5
5
1
1
1
1
24
24
24
24
14
14
14
14
03
04
05
06

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel
7510100
2
2


Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
51.043819 -114.042025

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Province of Alberta
Designation Status: Registered Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 1978/01/12

Historical Information

Built: 1906 to 1906
Significant Date(s)
Theme(s)
Historic Function(s): Residence : Single Dwelling
Current Function(s):
Architect:
Builder:
Context: HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE

This building was erected in 1906 as the home for the incoming North West Mounted Police (NWMP) 'E' Division commanding officer, Superintendent R.B. Deane. It replaced the earlier commanding officer's quarters, then thirty years old. The construction of the house was carried out by prisoners at the fort and was supervised by Division carpenter 'Joseph' and Deane himself.

The two and one-half storey, frame house with low hip roof and porches on two sides was often the scene of entertainment for visiting dignitaries and was described by the superintendent as 'certainly the best house in Mounted Police occupancy at that date'. It served the Mounted Police until 1914, when the Grand Trunk Pacific (GTP) Railway expropriated the fort property. The buildings were demolished, except for the dean's house, which was moved to the opposite end of the enclosure for the station agent.

In 1929 it became privately owned and was transported immediately across the Elbow River from the fort site. The move was accomplished on pilings made of crossed logs. This feat was so remarkable it was in the magazine, Popular Mechanics.

Additional Information

Object Number: 4665-0732
Designation File: DES 0341
Related Listing(s):
Heritage Survey File: HS 28162
Website Link:
Data Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 341)
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2020 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility