Logged in as user  [Login]  |
AHSP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





E.P. Ranch

High River, Near

Other Names:
E.P. Ranch
Edward Prince Ranch
EP Ranch
Prince of Wales Ranch
Windsor Ranch

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place
The E.P. (Edward Prince) Ranch cultural landscape is a 41 hectare ranch headquarters, situated adjacent to Pekisko Creek, in a rural setting in the foothills of Alberta. The site comprises: a 1927 Ranch House addition constructed for the Prince of Wales (later His Majesty King Edward VIII); a collection of log and wood frame residential and agricultural buildings and structures dating from the late 1880s; a formal garden; irrigated working gardens; woodland paths; shelter belts; and archaeological remains of early homestead-era structures.

Heritage Value
The heritage value of the E.P. Ranch resides in its direct association with His Majesty King Edward VIII, who owned it from 1919 to 1962. Edward, while Prince of Wales, purchased the ranch in 1919 from Frank Bedingfeld, who had established it in 1886. Under his direction, the ranch was developed as a model for the promotion of breeding excellence. Breeding livestock, most notably Shorthorn cattle, Dartmoor ponies, Shropshire sheep, and Clydesdale horses, were imported from Edward's breeding farms in his Duchy of Cornwall in the United Kingdom. His stock diversification initiatives proved unprofitable resulting in the sale of the livestock in the 1930's. Edward maintained a personal interest in the ranch for the period that he owned it. He visited it on several occasions in the 1920's, while Prince of Wales, and, after his abdication, as Duke of Windsor in the 1940's and 1950's while accompanied by his wife Wallis, the Duchess.

Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch (File: Des. 396)


Character-Defining Elements
Character defining elements of the E.P. Ranch site cultural landscape include:

The E.P. Ranch as a whole:
- the siting of the Ranch House and Ranch Workyard on the south bank of Pekisko Creek adjacent to a natural ford and at the head of an open valley
- the unimpeded valley viewscapes from the Ranch House and Ranch Workyard to the foothills and the eastern slopes of the Kananaskis Mountains

The Ranch House and Managerial precinct:
- Homestead Buildings (3 log buildings) – circa 1886 one storey log settler’s cabin - circa 1890s one storey log residence with gable roof - circa 1900, one and one half storey log residence with gable roof
- the 1927 wood frame ranch house addition undertaken for HRH Edward, Prince of Wales - glazed verandah, open porch, sitting room/parlour with field stone fireplace and gable roof
- circa 1920s manager's house – prairie vernacular one and one-half storey house, bevel siding.
- designed grounds including Caragana lined entrance alley/driveway circa 1930s; formal lawn with central walk, steel gate, flagpole and perimeter hedge; remnant vegetable fields with poplar alley and irrigation works; kitchen garden; woodland walk

The Ranch Operations precinct:
- circa 1900s log work shop, gable roof
- circa 1920s log bull barn - gambrel roof
- 1920s horse barn - wood frame, monitor roof
- circa 1920s implement shed, wood frame with cottage roof
- circa 1930s corrals, pens and shipping platform
- circa 1930s utility shed - wood frame with gable roof

Archaeological remains:
- settler's homestead cabin foundations
- ranch yard barns, corrals and pens
- the original entrance trail / river crossing


Location



Street Address: RR 2
Community: High River, Near
Boundaries: Portion of 1-14-3-W5
Contributing Resources: Archaeological Site/Remainss: 3
Buildings: 10
Structures: 2

ATS Legal Description:
Mer Rge Twp Sec LSD
5
5
5
5
5
5
3
3
3
3
3
3
17
17
17
17
17
17
1
1
1
1
1
1
06
09
10
11
14
15

PBL Legal Description (Cadastral Reference):
Plan Block Lot Parcel
0411253

N/A
Area A

Latitude/Longitude:
Latitude Longitude CDT Datum Type
50.407998 -114.287784

UTM Reference:
Northing Easting Zone CDT Datum Type

Recognition

Recognition Authority: Province of Alberta
Designation Status: Provincial Historic Resource
Date of Designation: 2004/06/11

Historical Information

Built: 1886 To 1936
Significant Date(s) N/A
Theme(s) Developing Economies : Extraction and Production
Peopling the Land : Settlement
Historic Function(s): Food Supply : Farm or Ranch
Current Function(s): Food Supply : Farm or Ranch
Architect:
Builder:
Context: N/A

Additional Information

Object Number: 4665-0891
Designation File: DES 0396
Related Listing(s):
Heritage Survey File: HS 72247
Website Link:
Data Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 396)
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2019 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility