Logged in as user  [Login]  |
ARHP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Key Number: HS 11907
Site Name: Fifth Avenue Methodist Church
Other Names:
Site Type: 1603 - Religious: Church, Cathedral or Chapel

Location

ATS Legal Description:
Twp Rge Mer
12 5 4


Address: 344 - 5 Avenue SE
Number: 44
Street: 3 SE
Avenue: 5 SE
Other:
Town: Medicine Hat
Near Town:

Media

Type Number Date View
Source

Architectural

Style:
Plan Shape: Rectangular Short Facade
Storeys: Storeys: 3
Foundation: Basement/Foundation Wall Material: Concrete
Superstructure: Brick
Superstructure Cover: Brick - Bond: Stretcher
Roof Structure: Medium Gable
Roof Cover: Asphalt Shingle
Exterior Codes: Massing of Units: Single Detached
Wings: Rear
Number of Bays - Facade: First or Ground Floor, 2 Bays
Wall Design and Detail: Plinth
Roof Trim - Eaves: Projecting Eaves
Roof Trim - Eaves: Plain Fascia
Roof Trim Material - Eaves: Wood
Roof Trim - Verges: Projecting Verges
Roof Trim - Verges: Plain Fascia
Roof Trim Material - Verges: Wood
Towers, Steeples and Domes: Tower
Towers, Steeples and Domes: Other
Towers, Steeples and Domes Location-Side to Side: Exterior Side Right
Towers, Steeples and Domes Location-Front to Rear: Exterior Front
Dormer Type: None
Chimney Location - Side to Side: Unknown
Chimney Location - Side to Side: Side Left
Chimney Location - Front to Rear: Rear
Chimney Stack Material: Brick
Chimney Stack Massing: Cluster Attached
Roof Trim - Special Features: None
Window - Structural Opening Shape: Pointed
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Keystone
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Other
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Sides: Quoins
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Material: Brick
Window - Sill Type: Plain Lug Sill
Window - Sill Material: Concrete
Window - Trim Within Structural Opening - Head: Plain
Window - Trim Within Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Window - Number of Sashes: One
Window - Number of Sashes: Other
Window - Opening Mechanism: Fixed
Window - Special Types: Pointed
Window - Special Types: Stained Glass
Window - Pane Arrangements: Other
Main Entrance - Location: Off-Centre (Facade)
Main Entrance - Structural Opening Shape: Ogee
Main Entrance - Structural Opening Shape: Pointed
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Label
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Voussoir
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Sides: Quoins
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening Material: Stone
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening Material: Concrete
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Head: Plain
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Head: Shaped Transom, Multiple Lights
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Head: Other
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Main Entrance - Number of Leaves: 2
Main Entrance - Number of Panels Per Leaf: 2
Main Entrance - Leaves - Special Feature: Shaped Panel
Main Entrance - Leaves - Special Feature: Stained Glass
Main Stairs - Location and Design: First or Ground Floor, Closed Railing
Main Stairs - Direction: Straight
Main Porch - Type: Platform
Main Porch - Special Features: None
Exterior: Foundation: continuous pour concrete
Structure: steel frame, concrete block, pressed brick
Covering: cherry pressed brick - stretcher bond; bed ford stone.
Structure: stee.
Number of Storeys: three and one in main sanctuary.

Elevated turrets, Bedford stone inlays, inscription date stone, quoins, lug sills above and over windows, projected molding, semi-elliptical transom with sidelights.

Bedford stone trim, distinguished by three large gothic stain glass windows in the north east and south elevations and by its three large crenellated towers.

Towers at all 4 corners.
Interior: N/A
Environment: Church made imposing; overlooking the downtown core.
Condition: Good (1986)
Alterations: Alterations: 1958 - permit #247, addition 1965 - permit #287, interior alteration 1967 - permit #343, renovation to the basement 1969 - permit #44, renovation to the basement

Historical

Construction: Construction Date:
Construction Started
1912/01/01
Usage: Usage Date:
Religious: Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Religious: Church, Cathedral or Chapel
1912/01/01
1972/08/31
Owner: Owner Date:
Fifth Avenue Methodist Church
Fift Avenue Memorial United Church
1912/01/01
1925/01/01
Architect: N/A
Builder: Lussier Construction Co.
Craftsman: N/A
History: Another address: 476 - 4 Street SE.
Original name: 5 Avenue Methodist Church; then First Avenue United Church; then Fifth Avenue Memorial United Church.
Built in 1912 as a Methodist Church, Mr. W.H. Bridgeman laid the corner. The church was built by volunteer labour.

In 1931 the building was gutted by fire, which left only the superstructure intact. Following the fire, additions were added in 1931 and 1957. New civic fire restrictions have indicated that the church is not up to present standards.

This church is very pioneer in it's origin and spirit. Close association with the C.P.R. as first meetings were held at the depot, using nail kegs as pews. Very active in community, open to many clubs / services.
* * *
The Methodist were the first denomination to put up a church building in Medicine Hat, erecting a modest wood-frame structure on the corner of Third and Sixth Avenue, in 1883. This building was replaced by a new brick structure on the same site in 1900. The rapid growth of the congregation necessitated the construction of the present church at the corner of Fifth Avenue and Fourth Street in 1912. Fifth Avenue Methodist Church became 5 Avenue United Church with the union of the Presbyterian, Congregational, and the Methodist Church in 1925.

The church is a substantial red brick structure with Bedford sandstone trim, made even more imposing by its location on a rise overlooking the downtown core. The building is distinguished by its large Gothic stained-glass windows in the north, east, and south elevations and by its three crenellated towers. Much of the church was destroyed by fire in July 1931, but it was immediately rebuilt. Today, Fifth Avenue United remains much as it was in 1912, except for the Christian Education Building erected at the rear of the church in 1957.

Internal

Status: Status Date:
Active
1986/07/01
Designation Status: Designation Date:
(not assigned)

Register:
Record Information: Record Information Date:

Links

Internet:
Alberta Register of Historic Places:
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2020 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility