Logged in as user  [Login]  |
Return to Search Results Printable Version

Key Number: HS 20245
Site Name: Smeltzer House
Other Names:
Site Type: 0101 - Residential: Single Dwelling


ATS Legal Description:
Twp Rge Mer
52 23 4

Address: 1 Broadmoor Boulevard
Town: Sherwood Park
Near Town:


Type Number Date View


Style: Classical Revival
Plan Shape: Square
Storeys: Storeys: 2
Foundation: Basement/Foundation Wall Material: Brick
Superstructure: Nailed Frame
Superstructure Cover:
Roof Structure: Low Hip
Roof Cover:
Exterior Codes: Main Porch - Type: Open Verandah
Exterior: The integrity of the exterior has been preserved since no additions have been made to its since its construction in 1920. Open verandah front and rear with 2nd floor balconies.
Interior: The conversion of the house to a crafts centre has resulted in some alterations to the interior.
Environment: The Smeltzer House is a two storey brick residence located in the residential suburb of Sherwood Park east of the City of Edmonton.
Condition: Both the house and carriage house require repointing in many areas and some glass must be replaced. There are also many paint splotches on the brick which should be removed. The interior of the building is well kept an is presently undergoing an intensive maintenance, repair programme. (Dec. 1984)
Alterations: N/A


Construction: Construction Date:
Usage: Usage Date:
Owner: Owner Date:
Maurice Smeltzer
Frank Smeltzer
County of Strathcona No. 20
Architect: Cyril Fry
Builder: Marshall Hughes
Craftsman: N/A
History: Site Description:
The Smeltzer House is a two storey brick residence located in the residential suburb of Sherwood Park east of the City of Edmonton. It was constructed as a rural residence in the 1920s and thus is out of character with the other residential structures in the immediate area which date from the 1950s. The building is currently being used as a crafts centre by the Strathcona County. This change in use has resulted in some changes to its interior. The exterior of the buildings exhibit 80-90% original fabric and design.
The site includes a brick carriage house also constructed in 1920 and a three-door garage which was added later. Both structures have been incorporated into the use of the site as a crafts centre.
The site also contains a number of spruce trees which date from the 1920s. They were probably planted to form a windbreak rather than to create a formal aesthetic effect.
Historical Significance:
Maurice Smeltzer was born in Huron County Ontario in 1867. He remained in Ontario until 1891 when he came West to deliver some work horses to the Edmonton District. He arrived on one of the first trains to reach South Edmonton over the newly completed Calgary and Edmonton Railway. He returned to Edmonton in 1892 with another load of work horses and with the intention of homesteading in the area. He was, therefore, part of a minor land rush to the Edmonton area following the completion of the Calgary and Edmonton railway.
Economic conditions during the mid-1890s forced him to seek other employment in order to supplement the income from his agricultural pursuits. He mined coal in Edmonton, worked in the lumber industry for J. Walters and D.R. Fraser and went trapping in order to earn the necessary cash for the development of his homestead.
After the turn of the century, improved economic conditions permitted him to concentrate on his mixed farming operations. His success in this regard is evident in the various prizes he won in local exhibitions. In 1909 he won a bronze medal for the best milling oats and a silver medal for the best sample of six-rowed barley. In the same year he also won a medal for a champion bacon boar. His success is also evident in the house he constructed in 1920. Maurice continued to farm until his death in 1939. The farm continued to be operated by his son Frank until 1969.
The Smeltzer Residence is therefore associated with the theme of settlement from its establishment to its consolidation in the Salisburg area between 1892 and 1920.
Architectural Significance:
The design of the Smeltzer House in Sherwood Park, Alberta is representative of a house type that appeared across Canada during the first twenty-five years of the twentieth century, and persists, in the modified form, to the present. It is an adaptation of popular Georgian residential styles that can be traced back to Georgian Colonial designs which appeared in the early 18th century in the Northeastern U.S. The Georgian Style was soon transplanted to Canadian soil during the period of American immigration from 1782-1820. It gave rise to a variety of Georgian-inspired styles, such as the Ontario Cottage style, which was popular during the 1830s to the 1850s, and one of the most common western Canadian house types, the Canadian Four-Square.
The Georgian Revival which occurred throughout North America from the 1890s to the 1920s was largely responsible for the emergence of what could be called the Canadian Four-Square style. In the U.S., residential designs referred to as the American Four-Square, was also an outgrowth of the Georgian Revival movement. Like the American Four-Square, the Canadian version is a 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 storey squarish structure with a pyramidal or hipped roof. A single tall chimney stack or a pair of them, one or more dormers, and often a one storey verandah wrapped around one, two or three sides of the building are also common characteristics. Classical detailing is sometimes present, including dentils under the eaves overhang (soffit) and columns or pillars supporting the verandah.
By 1910, as both domestic styles were gradually being stripped of their Georgian-classical detailing, they came to look very similar in appearance. The primary difference between the two styles, other than historical development, was simply location, one north and the other south of the 49th Parallel. However, there does seem to have been a trend in Canadian Four-Square designs to employ the dormer and verandah more frequently than the lone porch of the American Four-Square.


Status: Status Date:
Designation Status: Designation Date:
Record Information: Record Information Date:
K. Williams 1989/07/19


Alberta Register of Historic Places: 4665-0671
Return to Search Results Printable Version

Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.

Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2022 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility