Logged in as user  [Login]  |
ARHP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Key Number: HS 26946
Site Name: Fort White Earth 'Lower Terre Blanche' House
Other Names:
Site Type: 1315 - Governmental: Monument, Cairn or Statue

Location

ATS Legal Description:
Twp Rge Mer
58 16 4


Address:
Number:
Street:
Avenue:
Other:
Town:
Near Town:

Media

Type Number Date View
Source

Architectural

Style:
Plan Shape:
Storeys:
Foundation:
Superstructure:
Superstructure Cover:
Roof Structure:
Roof Cover:
Exterior Codes:
Exterior: N/A
Interior: N/A
Environment: Near confluence of White Earth and North Saskatchewan Rivers. Approximately 1-1/2 miles W of the confluence of the White Earth North Saskatchewan River North bank of North Saskatchewan River at mouth of White River. 1 acres.
Condition: An Alberta Historic Site sign marks the fort. It has the following inscription: Fort White Earth, in 1810 the Hudson's Bay and North West Companies abandoned Fort Edmonton, up-stream, and established trading posts within a single palisade at this point. However the site proved inconvenient and was abandoned in April 1813. The forts here were also called Lower Terre Blanche or Fort Edmonton.
Alterations: N/A

Historical

Construction: Construction Date:
Fort constructed
1810/01/01
Usage: Usage Date:
Fort

Owner: Owner Date:
Culture and Multiculturalism
Alberta Community Development
Province of Alberta


1960/12/12
Architect: N/A
Builder: N/A
Craftsman: N/A
History: In the winter of 1809-1810 James Hughes and Alexander Henry of the North West Company concluded that it was economically expedient to abandon Fort Augustus II and Fort Vermillion and build a single post at Terre Blanche. In the spring of 1810 construction started. The Hudson's Bay Company followed the move, as had been their custom in the past. Like Fort Vermillion the Terre Blanche Houses of the two companies were built within a common stockade. Henry's Journal contains detailed information about the construction of the North West Companies buildings. Until its abandonment Terre Blanche House was the only fort on the upper Saskatchewan. When Henry left Lower Terre Blanche House or Fort White Earth after the season of 1812-13 the companies moved back up river to the former site of Fort Augustus II and Edmonton II.
*	*	
Fort White Earth represents a consolidation both of two NW Co. posts (Fort Augustus II and Fort Vermilion) and two HB Co. posts (Edmonton II, and Fort Vermilion), the two companies built their new establishments in 1810 at the mouth of White Earth Creek within a common palisade, as they had at Fort Vermilion. After only three seasons, the joint post was abandoned in 1813, for the site of Fort Augustus II and Edmonton II in present Edmonton.

Internal

Status: Status Date:
signed)

Designation Status: Designation Date:
Provincial Historic Resource
1976/06/15
Register:
Record Information: Record Information Date:
K. Williams 1989/07/14

Links

Internet:
Alberta Register of Historic Places: 4665-0083
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2022 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility