Logged in as user  [Login]  |
ARHP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Key Number: HS 42287
Site Name: Fort Victoria - Clerk's Quarters II
Other Names:
Site Type: 0101 - Residential: Single Dwelling
0417 - Mercantile/Commercial: Fur Trading Post

Location

ATS Legal Description:
Twp Rge Mer
58 17 4


Address: N/A
Number: N/A
Street: N/A
Avenue: N/A
Other:
Town: Pakan
Near Town:

Media

Type Number Date View
Source

Architectural

Style:
Plan Shape: Rectangular Long Facade
Storeys: Storeys: 1 1/2
Foundation:
Superstructure:
Superstructure Cover:
Roof Structure: Medium Gable
Roof Cover:
Exterior Codes: Massing of Units: Single Detached
Wings: Rear
Number of Bays - Facade: First or Ground Floor, 3 Bays
Wall Design and Detail: Corner Board
Wall Design and Detail: Balcony
Roof Trim - Eaves: Projecting Eaves
Roof Trim - Eaves: Rafters Exposed
Roof Trim Material - Eaves: Wood
Roof Trim - Verges: Plain Fascia
Roof Trim Material - Verges: Wood
Dormer Type: Gable
Chimney Location - Side to Side: Centre
Chimney Location - Front to Rear: Centre
Chimney Stack Material: Concrete
Chimney Stack Massing: Single
Window - Structural Opening Shape: Flat
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Plain Flat
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Material: Wood
Window - Sill Type: Plain Lug Sill
Window - Sill Material: Wood
Window - Trim Within Structural Opening - Head: Flat Transom, Single Light
Window - Number of Sashes: One
Window - Opening Mechanism: Single or Double Hung
Window - Special Types: None
Main Entrance - Location: 2 or More (Facade)
Main Entrance - Structural Opening Shape: Flat
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Plain Flat
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening Material: Wood
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Head: Plain
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Main Entrance - Number of Panels Per Leaf: 7
Main Entrance - Leaves - Special Feature: Glass
Main Stairs - Location and Design: None
Main Stairs - Direction: None
Main Porch - Type: None
Main Porch - Special Features: None
Main Porch - Material: None
Main Porch - Height: None
Exterior: Structure: post on sill log construction.
Rear porch, gable with window.
Interior: N/A
Environment: On the north shore of the North Saskatchewan River at Pakan, a small community south of Smoky Lake. 8 miles southeast of Smoky Lake via the Pakan Ferry road.
Condition:
Alterations: Partly restored.

Historical

Construction: Construction Date:
McDougall Mission established
Constructed
1862/01/01
1864/01/01
Usage: Usage Date:
Chief Traders Residence
Fur Trade Post
Methodist Mission Residence
Provincial Museum
Bernard John Moric
Province of Aberta


1862/01/01
1960/10/12
1981/10/01
1982/06/22
Owner: Owner Date:
Hudson's Bay Company
Province of Alberta

1982/06/22
Architect: N/A
Builder: N/A
Craftsman: N/A
History: Partly restored remains of the central 'factor's house', original compound is in lawn and is delineated by modern hedgerows which more or less follow the location of original Palisade walls.
* * *
The Clerk's Quarters at Victoria Settlement is the oldest building in the province still resting on its original site. The modest white-washed house is located at Pakan, on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River, 70 miles northeast of Edmonton. The site is one of the most significant in Alberta. It was the location of a Methodist mission founded by Reverend George McDougall in 1862, and a Hudson's Bay Company post opened in 1864. The church and trading post attracted Cree Indians and Metis, many of whom settled nearby. After the turn of the century, as settlement patterns began to change, a separate mission was established at Victoria to serve Ukrainian homesteaders.
* * *
Heritage Significance:
On October 17, 1864 Wm. Christie, Chief Factor at Edmonton, informed the Officer in charge at Fort Garry that he had established a new post at the Victoria Mission in order to oppose the fur traders who had come into the district at that time. The clerk at Victoria was George Flett, but his correspondence from there has not survived; hence we have no details about the post. However, a diagram of the fort drawn by Richard Hardisty in 1874 has survived (HSS file R2M). Throughout its operation the Fort at Victoria was subject to periods of slack trading which often lead to the fort being temporarily closed. The post was closed in June 19, 1883. It was re-opened by October 5, 1887. The post was closed permanently sometime during the outfit 1 June to 31 May 1898, but our records do not give the exact date.
* * *
Victoria Post Here in 1864 the Hudson's Bay Co. established a fur trading post to compete with free traders operating near the new Methodist Mission. Closed in 1883, Victoria Post was re-occupied in 1887 and finally abandoned during the fur trade year 1897-98. 45 words. Order No. 7028, March 8, 1961.
* * *
DRAFT RELEASE
July 10, 1981 Edmonton, Alberta
ONE OF ALBERTA OLDEST BUILDING OPENS TO THE PUBLIC
The Clerk's Quarters at Victoria Settlement, the oldest building in the province still resting on its original site, is now open to the public. The modest, white-washed house is located at Pakan, on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River, 70 miles northeast of Edmonton. The site is one of the most significant in Alberta. It was the location of a Methodist mission founded by Reverend George McDougall in 1862, and a Hudson's Bay Company post opened in 1864. The church and trading post attracted Cree Indians and Metis, many of whom settled nearby. After the turn of the century, as settlement patterns began to change, a separate mission was established at Victoria to serve Ukrainian homesteaders. Because of the importance of this area to the history of the Province, the Historic Sites Service of Alberta Culture has restored the Clerk's Quarters at the settlement. It has been refurnished to reflect life in the 1890s.

Internal

Status: Status Date:
Active

Designation Status: Designation Date:
Provincial Historic Resource
1976/06/15
Register: N/A
Record Information: Record Information Date:
K. Williams 1991/01/24

Links

Internet:
Alberta Register of Historic Places: 4665-0022
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2020 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility