Logged in as user  [Login]  |
Return to Search Results Printable Version

Key Number: HS 45550
Site Name: Transfiguration of Our Lord Ukrainian Catholic Church
Other Names: Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Holy Transfiguration
Site Type: 1603 - Religious: Church, Cathedral or Chapel


ATS Legal Description:
Twp Rge Mer
48 19 4

Address: N/A
Number: N/A
Street: N/A
Avenue: N/A
Near Town: Round Hill


Type Number Date View


Style: Ukrainian-Canadian Church Style
Plan Shape: Cruciform
Superstructure Cover:
Roof Structure:
Roof Cover:
Exterior Codes:
Exterior: N/A
Interior: Possibly a Peter Lipinski interior.
Environment: N/A
Condition: N/A
Alterations: N/A


Construction: Construction Date:
Usage: Usage Date:
Owner: Owner Date:

Architect: N/A
Builder: Brother Yarema Janishewski (2nd church)
Craftsman: Carpenter: Ignas Kalawsky (1st church)
History: Parish established (organized) January 1903. First church built of logs in 1903. It was 30' x 24', and was blessed on August 19, 1904. Parish incorporated in 1908. Second church built in 1925. From 1925-45 the first church was used as a hall. A new hall was built in 1945 (see ?). áThe second church (this one) is 72'x 40', and is still active (1983).

RESOURCE Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Holy Transfiguration
ADDRESS Roundhill
BUILT 1925
STATUS Registered Historic Resource


This is one of the earliest Ukrainian Catholic parishes to be formed in Alberta. It was established in 1903, only a few months after missionaries of the Basilian Order arrived here from Ukraine. For a year, services were conducted in one of the homes of the parish founders. Then in 1904, the people decided to build a church, using whatever resources and materials they had at hand.

The first was a simple and small structure, constructed of logs. The present one is a structure of more formal proportions with an open dome. It was built in 1925 by the parishioners under the direction of well-known builder, Jarema Janishewski. The bell tower appears to be older, for the bell it contains was acquired by one of the parishioners soon after the first church was built. Today, the church continues to serve the surrounding community as it always has, except that a declining population has reduced the number of times that it is used overall in a year.

The church is a wood frame structure with a cruciform plan and a high octagonal dome on a tall drum of the same plan over the crossing. The exterior is clad in wood drop siding with corner boards accenting the silhouette of the building. The windows are original, with tall round-headed fenestration around the drum of the dome and along the nave, transepts and apse. There are semi-circular transom windows above all the doors and an oeil-de-boeuf window in the gable over the main entrance. Small domes surmount towers located to either side of the main entrance. The interior of the church retains its painted decoration, 1930 pews and circular staircase leading to the choir. In the churchyard is a bell tower (with 1905 bell) in the same style as the church – presumably built at the same time as the church – and a cemetery dating back to the establishment of the parish in 1903. This is a well-preserved example of the second-generation Ukrainian churches in Alberta. It shows how the building type, style and construction were successfully adapted to the new environment, yet retained the essential character and function of the European prototypes.


Status: Status Date:

Designation Status: Designation Date:
Registered Historic Resource
Register: N/A
Record Information: Record Information Date:
K. Williams 1991/04/08


Alberta Register of Historic Places: 4665-0665
Return to Search Results Printable Version

Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.

Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2020 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility