Logged in as user  [Login]  |
ARHP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Key Number: HS 50260
Site Name: Regal Confectionary
Other Names: Henry J. Tennant Residence
Regal Grocery Store
Site Type: 0101 - Residential: Single Dwelling
0410 - Mercantile/Commercial: Grocery Store or Supermarket
0412 - Mercantile/Commercial: General Retail Store

Location

ATS Legal Description:
Twp Rge Mer
9 21 4


Address: 422 - 6 Avenue S
Number: 22
Street: 4 S
Avenue: 6 S
Other:
Town: Lethbridge
Near Town:

Media

Type Number Date View
Source

Architectural

Style: Second Empire
Plan Shape: Square
Storeys: Storeys: 1 1/2
Foundation: Basement/Foundation Wall Material: Concrete
Superstructure: Nailed Frame
Superstructure Cover: Brick - Bond: Stretcher
Roof Structure: Medium Hip
Roof Cover:
Exterior Codes: Massing of Units: Single Detached
Wings: Front
Wings: Rear
Number of Bays - Facade: First or Ground Floor, 6 Bays
Number of Bays - Facade: Second Floor, 2 Bays
Wall Design and Detail: Decorative Shingle
Plain Eaves
Roof Trim - Eaves: Plain Fascia
Roof Trim - Eaves: Plain Soffit
Roof Trim - Eaves: Plain Frieze
Roof Trim Material - Eaves: Wood
Roof Trim - Verges: Not Applicable
Dormer Type: Segmental
Chimney Location - Side to Side: Centre
Chimney Location - Front to Rear: Other
Chimney Stack Material: Metal
Roof Trim - Special Features: None
Window - Structural Opening Shape: Segmental
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Shaped
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Curved Pediment
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Material: Wood
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Material: Brick
Window - Sill Type: Plain Slip Sill
Window - Sill Type: Plain Lug Sill
Window - Sill Material: Wood
Window - Sill Material: Brick
Window - Trim Within Structural Opening - Head: Plain
Window - Trim Within Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Window - Number of Sashes: One
Window - Number of Sashes: Two, Double Hung
Window - Opening Mechanism: Single or Double Hung
Window - Pane Arrangements: 2 over 2
Main Entrance - Location: Off-Centre (Facade)
Main Entrance - Structural Opening Shape: Flat
Main Entrance - Structural Opening Shape: Segmental
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Plain Flat
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Voussoir
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening Material: Wood
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Head: Plain
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Head: Flat Transom, Single Light
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Main Entrance - Number of Leaves: 1
Main Entrance - Number of Panels Per Leaf: 1
Main Entrance - Number of Panels Per Leaf: 3
Main Entrance - Leaves - Special Feature: Glass
Main Stairs - Location and Design: None
Main Porch - Type: Closed Porch
Main Porch - Material: Concrete
Main Porch - Height: First Storey
Exterior: Mansard roof with gable decorated dormer
Interior: N/A
Environment: Corner Grocery store Residential/commercial on high traffic
Condition:
Alterations: Apparent Alterations and/or Additions: None Site: Original

Historical

Construction: Construction Date:
Construction Started
1892/01/01
Usage: Usage Date:
Served as a Synagogue from 1914 to 1928.
Store
Mercantile/Commercial: General Retail Store
1914/01/01
1914/01/01
1972/08/03
Owner: Owner Date:
C.F.P Conybeare
Charles Magrath
Nick Spirrou


1914/01/01
Architect: N/A
Builder: N/A
Craftsman: N/A
History: 1914 Owner - Nick Spirrou Original Owner - Henry Tennant Rancher & Collector of Customs at Coutts, Alberta.
Built with Lethbridge made bricks.
Present Owner - W. Quon 422 - 6th Avenue South
This 1899 Photograph shows the home of Henry Tennant, Rancher and Collector of Customs at Coutts, Alberta, one of the most important Western border crossings at that time.
This solidly, Middleclass, English home was built with Lethbridge-made bricks in the Victorian style. Today the house is still intact, the tin roof and fancy arched brick windows are clearly visible. The front bay window is gone, replaced with a new entrance and a side staircase. The home now serves as small corner grocery store on an avenue which once dead-ended at the coulees, but now leads to the city's new westside addition.

Henry J. Tennant Residence / Regal Grocery Building
ADDRESS                         422 – 6 Avenue South, Lethbridge
BUILT                               1890s
STATUS                            Provincial Historic Resource  

HERITAGE SIGNIFICANCE  
In the early 1880s, the Canadian High Commissioner in London, Alexander Galt, assembled a closely knit group of British and Canadian investors into a company to develop the vast coal deposits along the Oldman River.   A company called the North West Coal & Navigation Co. was incorporated and mining activity begun.   As the mine was a considerable distance south from where the Canadian Pacific Railway had recently extended its line past Fort Calgary, the North West Coal & Navigation Co. decided to build its own railway straight east from Medicine Hat to the mine site.   At the site, the thriving community of Lethbridge was soon begun on Company property.   In 1885, the Company subdivided lots in the community and registered it as a townsite.   By 1890, the community was sufficiently large to be incorporated as the Town of Lethbridge with over 400 people.   The town would continue to grow and become a city in 1906 with over 2,000 people.
 
Among the lots sub-divided by the Company, one of the choicest was located at the east end of Courtland Street (now 422 – 6th Avenue S) overlooking, at a distance, the Oldman River.   In 1889, this lot was purchased by Company lawyer Charles F. Conybeare, then one of the leading citizens of Lethbridge.   Upon his passing in 1892, it was inherited by his wife, Ida, who, in 1894, sold it to Charles A. Magrath, then probably the most prominent citizen in Lethbridge.   A close friend of Alexander Galt’s son, Elliott, Magrath had served as the Land Commissioner of the North West Coal & Navigation Co.   In this capacity, he had undertaken the survey and subdivision of Lethbridge in 1885.   He also became the first president of the Lethbridge Board of Trade, and, in 1890, the first Mayor of Lethbridge.   He would go on represent the district for a while in the North West Territorial Assembly, and, from 1908 to 1911, serve as the Conservative Member of Parliament for the federal riding of Medicine Hat (which then included Lethbridge).  
 
When Magrath sold his Courtland Street property in 1898, it was to another Galt employee and prominent citizen, Henry James Tennant, then a fireman with the North West Coal & Navigation Co.   In 1903, Tennant sold his Lethbridge home and moved to Coutts to take up ranching and eventually become a police magistrate.   He would run unsuccessfully for a seat in the Alberta Legislative Assembly for the riding of Warner in 1917 as a Conservative.  
 
At some point during the ownership of either Magrath or Tennant, an ornate dwelling with mansard roof and detailed brickwork was constructed on 422 Courtland Street.   It was, no doubt, regarded at the time as an elegant addition to the community, and would have been the venue of much upper class socializing.   In 1903, Tennant sold the property to Agnes Westfall, who retained possession until 1907.   Several other people would occupy the dwelling over the next several years, until, in 1918, it was acquired by Peter Naismith, who converted it into the Beth Israel Synagogue.   At the time, the community around the property contained a large number of Jewish residents.   The old Tennant House would serve as a synagogue until 1940, when a new and larger synagogue was built.   Upon this move, the Tennant House, which had already undergone several major alterations, was made over into a community grocery store called Regal Grocery.   It is as the Regal Grocery that most residents of Lethbridge remember the building, for it would serve as a grocery and, later, as a confectionery until 1988.
 
The historical significance of the Regal Grocery lies, to an extent, in its service as a familiar community grocery and confectionery during the middle and latter part of the last century.   It also has some significance in its use as a Jewish synagogue between 1918 and 1940, although it had not been designed for religious purposes.   Its greatest significance is probably in its association with certain of the leading public figures of Lethbridge around the turn of the last century. Although, with extensive renovations over the years, there is little about it to remind people of its role as an upper class dwelling, aside from the mansard roof and certain brickwork.
 
The year of construction of the building has not been determined.   It may have been built for and occupied by Charles Magrath who owned the property between 1894 and 1898.   However, its identification by people in Lethbridge as ‘the Tennant House’ would suggest that it might have been built during Henry Tennant’s ownership between 1898 and 1903.   Many people felt that Magrath occupied the property after Tennant, but Land Titles records verify otherwise.   The Lethbridge City Archivist is still trying to determine the date of construction. 

Internal

Status: Status Date:
Active
Abandoned
1914/01/01
2004/03/20
Designation Status: Designation Date:
Provincial Historic Resource
2002/05/03
Register: N/A
Record Information: Record Information Date:
Tatiana Gilev 2003/07/17

Links

Internet:
Alberta Register of Historic Places: 4665-0795
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Search    Site Map    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2013 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility