Logged in as user  [Login]  |
ARHP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Key Number: HS 62591
Site Name: Bank of Montreal
Other Names:
Site Type: 0402 - Mercantile/Commercial: Bank

Location

ATS Legal Description:
Twp Rge Mer
23 1 5


Address: 140 - 8 Avenue SW
Number: 40
Street: 1 SW
Avenue: 8 SW
Other:
Town: Calgary
Near Town:

Media

Type Number Date View
Source

Architectural

Style:
Plan Shape:
Storeys: Storeys: 3 1/2
Foundation:
Superstructure: Stone
Superstructure Cover:
Roof Structure:
Roof Cover:
Exterior Codes:
Exterior: N/A
Interior: N/A
Environment: Situated on the north-east corner at 8th Avenue and 1st Street SW.
Condition: N/A
Alterations: N/A

Historical

Construction: Construction Date:
Construction Started
1930/01/01
Usage: Usage Date:
Bank
Bank

1977/01/01
Owner: Owner Date:
N/A

Architect: Frederick Rea
Builder: N/A
Craftsman: N/A
History: David Burton Emeno was manager of this branch from 1921 to 1922. In January 1923 he became Assistant District Superintendent of the Bank of Montreal in Alberta. Demolished in 1920s. In 1886, Major James Walker visited Eastern Canada and tried to persuade an Ontario Bank to open up a branch in Calgary. The Eastern Bank officials refused. James Walker was able to get the Bank of Montreal interested and it opened in a small frame building in October 1886. Two years later the bank moved into its $50,000 sandstone building. * * * Frederick Rea - Montreal architect. One of best examples of Neoclassical structure in Calgary. Canadianized by incorporating images such as the Beaver and Indians in the design. Typical of the attempt by financial institutions of the day to project an image of strength and solidarity to the customer through their buildings. Rea's signature is carved in the granite base. This has been the site of a Bank of Montreal since 1889. The original sandstone structure was demolished and replaced by this which has sited as their main branch since its construction.
HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

The Bank of Montreal has always played an important role in the development of Calgary. As the principal banker to the Canadian Pacific Railway, it had a vested interest in Calgary’s growth and prosperity. In 1886, it opened its first branch in Calgary, at the time its only branch west of Winnipeg. The decision to erect a much larger bank in 1930 reflected the expansion in the Bank of Montreal during the previous decade with the takeover of three smaller charter banks between 1919 and 1925, all of which remained rival branches in Calgary. The fact that a two-storey single purpose bank was constructed instead of a twelve-storey office building as originally proposed, was an indication of the declining economic prospects which existed during the Depression.

Internal

Status: Status Date:
Active
1979/10/03
Designation Status: Designation Date:
Municipal A List
Provincial Historic Resource

2003/08/28
Register: 01-134
Record Information: Record Information Date:
S. Khanna 1993/05/21

Links

Internet:
Alberta Register of Historic Places: 4665-0845
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2020 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility