Logged in as user  [Login]  |
ARHP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Key Number: HS 9948
Site Name: Hill Residence
Other Names:
Site Type: 0101 - Residential: Single Dwelling

Location

ATS Legal Description:
Twp Rge Mer
9 21 4


Address: 702 - 11 Street S
Number: 2
Street: 11 S
Avenue: 7 S
Other:
Town: Lethbridge
Near Town:

Media

Type Number Date View
Source

Architectural

Style: Queen Anne
Plan Shape: Rectangular Long Facade
Storeys: Storeys: 2 1/2
Foundation: Basement/Foundation Wall Material: Concrete
Superstructure: Nailed Frame
Superstructure Cover: Wood: Shiplap
Roof Structure: Medium Gable
Roof Cover: Asphalt Shingle
Exterior Codes: Massing of Units: Single Detached
Wings: Rear and Either Side
Number of Bays - Facade: First or Ground Floor, 4 Bays
Wall Design and Detail: Corner Board
Wall Design and Detail: String or Belt Course
Roof Trim - Eaves: Plain Fascia
Roof Trim - Eaves: Plain Soffit
Roof Trim - Eaves: Plain Frieze
Roof Trim Material - Eaves: Wood
Roof Trim - Verges: Plain Fascia
Roof Trim - Verges: Plain Soffit
Roof Trim - Verges: Plain Frieze
Roof Trim Material - Verges: Wood
Towers, Steeples and Domes: Tower
Dormer Type: None
Chimney Location - Side to Side: Centre
Chimney Location - Side to Side: Offset Left
Chimney Location - Front to Rear: Centre
Chimney Location - Front to Rear: Front
Chimney Stack Material: Brick
Chimney Stack Massing: Single
Chimney Stack Massing: Cluster Attached
Roof Trim - Special Features: Finial
Window - Structural Opening Shape: Flat
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Moulded Flat
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Window - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Material: Wood
Window - Sill Type: Plain Lug Sill
Window - Sill Material: Wood
Window - Trim Within Structural Opening - Sides: Side Lights
Window - Opening Mechanism: Single or Double Hung
Window - Special Types: Palladian
Main Entrance - Location: Centre (Facade)
Main Entrance - Structural Opening Shape: Flat
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Head: Plain Flat
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Main Entrance - Trim Outside Structural Opening Material: Wood
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Head: Plain
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Sides: Plain
Main Entrance - Trim Within Structural Opening - Sides: Side Lights
Main Entrance - Number of Leaves: 1
Main Entrance - Number of Panels Per Leaf: 1
Main Entrance - Leaves - Special Feature: Glass
Main Stairs - Location and Design: First or Ground Floor, Open Railing
Main Stairs - Direction: Straight
Main Porch - Type: Open Verandah
Main Porch - Special Features: Columns
Main Porch - Special Features: Doric Capital
Main Porch - Special Features: Open Railing
Main Porch - Material: Wood
Main Porch - Height: First Storey
Exterior: The house is a replica of the north section of the YWCA building.
Corner cylinder structure with matching wrap around verandah; multiple entry (both floors).
Interior: Library, Pantry, living room, dinning room,, Kitchen-Main floor. Five bedrooms, Bath- upstairs
Environment: Residential 7 Avenue and 11 Street South Corner lot
Condition:
Alterations: Apparent Alterations and/or Additions: None Site: Original

Historical

Construction: Construction Date:
Construction Started
1912/01/01
Usage: Usage Date:
Residential: Single Dwelling
Residential: Single Dwelling
1912/01/01
1972/07/05
Owner: Owner Date:
Hill
1914/01/01
Architect: N/A
Builder: N/A
Craftsman: N/A
History: 1887 E.J. Hill came to Lethbridge.
Belong to Hill Family, early Lethbridge Hardware Merchants.
The elderly Mr. and Mrs. Hill both died in the house.
Edgar B. Hill, owner, 1914.
1975 - House owned by Barbara Day.
1914 - Hill owned The Hill Block at 516-3 Ave. South, a Department Store owned by himself and Edgar J. ' E.J. Hill and Co.'
Florence Hill also lived in house.

*** ***
RESOURCE E. B. Hill Residence
ADDRESS 702 - 11 Street South, Lethbridge
BUILT 1912
DESIGNATION STATUS Provincial Historic Resource

HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE
E. B. Hill along with his mother arrived in Lethbridge in 1889 as a child of seven to join his father, who had arrived in 1885 to establish a grocery store. Lethbridge was an appropriate location for such a business venture given the rapid growth of the community as a result of the development of the local coal reserves by the North West Coal and Navigation Company.
The general prosperity permitted Hill to construct a three-story building on Third Avenue South across from the Galt Gardens. The grocery store operated by Hill later expanded into a general store which sold men and ladies wears, dry goods and furniture.
Young Edgar B. Hill worked first for his father on the delivery wagon and later as a clerk. Having completed his training he became a partner with his father in the family business. When his father was approaching retirement, Edgar junior became ill with sciatica. Just prior to the final stages of his retirement, Mr. E.J. Hill passed away, and his son closed the business due to his own poor health.
Edgar B. Hill married Jean O’Hagan of Lethbridge, and their first home was at 416, 6th Street South, across from where Eaton’s stands today. The Hill residence at 702 11th Street South was built in 1910-11 by a contractor named Alexander Smith, who was a partner in the firm of Smith Brothers and Wilson, with headquarters in Regina. Smith had previously worked for the International Coal Company and had been responsible for the erection of two hundred buildings in the town of Coleman, prior to his move to Lethbridge in 1905. He was also responsible for the construction in Lethbridge of the Court House, the C.P.R. station, the Number 1 firehall, the Sherlock building and is credited by a contemporary writer with having built every school in the city that was erected since his arrival.
After completion of the Hill house, which at the time of construction was on the outskirts of the city, he built a smaller version of the same design on the southwest corner of Eighth Street and sixth avenue south. This second house was later to become part of the Y.W.C.A. complex, and was eventually demolished to make way for the new Y.W.C.A. building.

ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICANCE
The Hill residence represents one of the popular housing styles in Alberta between 1910 and the late 1920s, particularly in more affluent neighborhoods. The Queen Anne Style was particularly suitable in the relatively rural setting of a young city, for it was a style that was originally derived from the stately rural English country houses of the Elizabethan period. The features of the Hill residence that reflect this style include the irregular roofline, prominent gables, the octagonal tower and the wrap around verandah. Finally, small-scale classical detailing applied in a limited fashion both in the interior and on the exterior further illustrates its Queen Anne Style origin. Small columns, for example, support the porch and Palladian windows have been used in the dormers.

Internal

Status: Status Date:
Active
Active
1980/06/20
2004/04/16
Designation Status: Designation Date:
Registered Historic Resource
Provincial Historic Resource
1991/10/22
2013/07/02
Register: N/A
Record Information: Record Information Date:
Tatiana Gilev 2003/12/05

Links

Internet:
Alberta Register of Historic Places: 4665-0592
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Search    Site Map    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2013 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility