Logged in as user  [Login]  |
ARHP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Key Number: HS 26111
Site Name: St. Mary's Russo-Greek Orthodox Church (Shandro)
Other Names:
Site Type: 1603 - Religious: Church, Cathedral or Chapel

Location

ATS Legal Description:
Twp Rge Mer
57 15 4


Address: Subdivision 4
Number:
Street:
Avenue:
Other:
Town:
Near Town: Shandro

Media

Type Number Date View
Source

Architectural

Style: Ukrainian-Canadian Church Style
Plan Shape: Other
Storeys: Storeys: 1
Foundation: Basement/Foundation Wall Material: Concrete
Superstructure: Horizontal Log
Superstructure Cover:
Roof Structure: Medium Gable
Roof Cover:
Exterior Codes: Roof Trim - Eaves: Projecting Eaves
Towers, Steeples and Domes: Tower
Towers, Steeples and Domes: Dome
Chimney Stack Material: Stone
Window - Special Types: Round
Window - Special Types: Semi-Circular
Exterior: Roof type: hipped; domed (1 small central dome on a very large octagonal base; 1 relatively larger dome over belltower, which serves as westernmost section of structure.
Roof Covering: wooden shingle (note: 2 skirt roofs on belltower; preceded by open porch).
Plan Shape: tripartite with large domed belltower and open porch serving as westernmost portion of structure and single sacristy on south facade; apse.
The church is constructed of logs sheathed in clapboard siding.
Projecting eaves, plain soffit, interior/exterior masonry chimney, semi-ciruclar windows, 2 on each side of nave, 2 on apse, 1 on each side of dome base, 2 on each side of bottom half of belltower, round window on belltower.
Interior: The interior has been substantially altered.
Environment: Located in a rural setting. Cemetery about 1/4 miles south of church, rural setting, situated on knoll, surrounded by combination of deciduous and coniferous trees, exclusively agricultural infrastructure.
Condition: Good. 29 OCT 1987. In good condition and well maintained.
Alterations: 1964 - renovations by S. Shandro. 1 JAN 1917 - A large tower with a third dome as added.

Historical

Construction: Construction Date:
Main portion of church erected
Addition of large tower and third dome.
1903/01/01
1917/01/01
Usage: Usage Date:
Church
1903/01/01
Owner: Owner Date:
Russian Orthodox Church
The Bishop of the Russo-Greek Orthodox Church

1919/06/24
Architect: N/A
Builder: Stefan Gudzowaty
Craftsman: N/A
History: Alexandr Antoniev, first parish priest.
Historical Importance:
The construction of St. Mary's Church was begun and supervised by members of the Shandro clan, who arrived in the Willingdon area in 1899 during one of the great waves of Ukrainian immigration into Alberta, thus establishing one of the first Ukrainian settlements in the province. The Shandro family came to play a prominent role in Ukrainian affairs in the province (Andrew Shandro was the first Ukrainian M.L.A., and the towns of Shandro and Andrew are named after the family). In addition to being associated with the Shandro clan, St. Mary's Church, as far as is known at the present time, is the oldest Ukrainian Church of any denomination in the province.
Architectural Importance:
St. Mary's Church is made of logs covered with siding.
Architecturally, it exhibits features of typical Byzantine church architecture, as that syle was modified by the early settlers to compensate for lack of suitable materials and craftsmen. It is triple -domed, and its exterior is simple. The interior has been substantially altered. More impressive Eastern Rite churches exist in Alberta, but none combine the same qualities of age and integrity.
* * *
Draft Press Release September 5, 1979 Edmonton, Alberta
Province Declares Orthodox Church at Shandro a Registered Historic Resource
One of the earliest Eastern Rite Churches constructed in Alberta has been designated a Registered Historic Resource, it was announced by Mary J. LeMessurier, Minister responsible for Culture.
St. Mary's Russo-Greek Orthodox Church is located at Shandro, which is approximately 29 Kilometers south east of Smoky Lake. Construction of the church was begun and supervised by members of the Shandro family who arrived in the Willingdon area in 1899. The main body of the Church was built about 1903, while a large tower with a third dome was added in 1927. The Church is still in use.
Architecturally, St. Mary's Church is an excellent example of vernacular Byzantine church architecture.
* * *
The Church on the Knoll
On May 21, 1899 the three Shandro brothers, Stefan, Nickon and Sidori arrived at their designated homesteads approximately 110 miles from Edmonton downstream along the North Saskatchewan River. (Now 75 miles by road).
Within days, Mrs. Anastasia Shandro, wife of Stefan, trudged half a mile northward to the top of a knoll, improvised a crude Orthodox cross from willow sticks, tied kerchief to it and declared that this will be the site for the church.
While the husbands were away working on railway 'extra gangs' as far south as Lethbridge or on farms in the Fort Saskatchewan area, the wives and a few remaining men, organized working bees to cut down the trees to make room for the church; converted the trees into logs and commenced construction.
On August 28, 1903 the immigrant residents of the community held their first church service. This day was a church holiday (Boharodetzia) and since then, August 28, has been the date of the annual church anniversary celebrations.
Over the years, August 28 has been the biggest annual religious and social event in the district. It was designated as Khram (Festival) day. Thousands would assemble for the annual visit of the Bishop and senior church officials.
After the prolonged church service the parishioners and their guests would disperse to the various homes in the district to celebrate the church anniversary. This idea of the entire district playing host to all visitors by opening their doors for food, drink, singing and dancing was brought over to Canada from their former homeland.
As other settlements established their churches, each parish had a special Khram Day annually. The religious and social exchanges prevailed throughout the entire area.
The Smoky Lake Church celebrated on August 2nd (St. Elias Day), Boian parishioners did likewise on July 12th (St. Peter's Day) in Wasel it was Ascension Day, usually the latter part of May or the early part of June, depending of the date of Easter.
At Shandro the celebrations were the daddy of them all, as it was the first such occasion established in the area and was by far the largest.
Today the Shandro Church is still in operation. It was doubled in size in 1917, when the tallest portion and biggest onion dome was added. On numerous occasions it was filled to overflowing.
As the younger generation leaves farming, in increasing numbers the size of the parish decreases, but the religious pursuits continue.
Some aspects have been modernized, other customs have been Canadianized, but the church continues to provide the settlers with freedom of worship which they sought when coming to Canada seventy-six years ago.
St. Mary's Orthodox Church at Shandro, stands trim and proud on the knoll selected by Anastasia Shandro in 1899.

Internal

Status: Status Date:
Active
1987/10/01
Designation Status: Designation Date:
Register:
Record Information: Record Information Date:
K. Williams 1989/07/21

Links

Internet:
Alberta Register of Historic Places:
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2026 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility