Logged in as user  [Login]  |
ARHP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Key Number: HS 38505
Site Name: Sharples - Parrish & Heimbecker Grain Elevator Limited
Other Names:
Site Type: 0416 - Mercantile/Commercial: Storage Elevator

Location

ATS Legal Description:
Twp Rge Mer
29 22 4


Address: N/A
Number: N/A
Street: N/A
Avenue: N/A
Other:
Town: Sharples
Near Town:

Media

Type Number Date View
Source

Architectural

Style: Single Wood Elevator & Cribbed Annex(es)
Plan Shape: Square
Storeys: Basement: Partial Below Ground Level
Foundation: Basement/Foundation Wall Material: Stone
Superstructure: Wood Cribbing
Superstructure Cover:
Roof Structure: Elevator: Gable on Gable, Medium Cupola
Roof Cover:
Exterior Codes: Roof Trim - Eaves: Plain Fascia
Roof Trim Material - Eaves: Wood
Roof Trim - Verges: Plain Fascia
Roof Trim Material - Verges: Wood
Window - Number of Sashes: One
Window - Number of Sashes: Two, Double Hung
Window - Opening Mechanism: Single or Double Hung
Window - Opening Mechanism: Fixed
Window - Pane Arrangements: 6 over 6
Elevator: Water Shed Skirting: Wood
Elevator: Logo: Parrish & Heimbecker
Elevator: Paint Colour: White
Elevator: Loading Spout: Box Car
Elevator: Loading Spout: Hopper Car
Elevator: Driveway Door: Sliding Door: Double Board & Batten
Elevator: Driveway: Heightened Driveway
Elevator: Driveway: Upgraded Driveway
Elevator: Driveway: Earth Ramp
Elevator: Associated Buildings: Outhouse & Storage
Elevator: Associated Buildings: Office
Elevator: Associated Buildings: Annex
Elevator: Associated Buildings: Outbuilding
Exterior: Window on S facade above loading platform; single door onto loading platform.
Interior: Elevator details: Small wooden 12' leg with 5 x 11 cups. Wheel & cable used on work house floor to direct gerber spout in cupola. Elevator contains 18 to 21 bins. Wooden manlift. Driveway scale is a 19 foot 12 ton model from Fairbanks in Calgary. The scale for the receiving hopper is a Fairbanks with a 200 lb sliding scale beam. (For photos of the two beam balancses see HSS 97-R201-19a & 20a). Truck loading spout over driveway.
Environment: Assocated buildings: Elevator office (78721); outhouse/storage (78722); barn (78723); annex (78720). Located on bluff above river in valley on abandoned rail line from Acme to Drumheller.
Condition:
Alterations: The elevator has a high degree of integrity both in structural and mechanical detail. The driveway superstructure has had some alteration on the west end involving a heightening of the roof to allow larger trucks to hoist their boxes. Air compressor fro a Magrath 60' tilting air dump, 250 lb gauge, still in place. Taps for operation mounted on beam of driveway scale. This mechanism was likely installed by the late 1920s. A 15 H.P. gasoline fairbankds Z engine, probably not the original engine of 1923, was replaced with a 10 H.P. electric motor sometime after 1950.

Historical

Construction: Construction Date:
Constructed
1923/01/01
Usage: Usage Date:
Elevator - grain storage
1923/01/01
Owner: Owner Date:
Parrish & Heimbecker Ltd.
Private individual
1923/01/01
1982/01/01
Architect: N/A
Builder: Parrish & Heimbecker Ltd.
Craftsman: N/A
History: This elevator was built on a siding at Sharples in 1923, the year the CPR built a spur line through the spectacular badlands Knee Hills Creek Valley from Acme to Drumheller via Carbon and Sharlpless. The town of Carbon remains as does the skeleton of the former hamlet of Hesketh, although the elevators have been long demolished at the latter point. Only Kirkpatrick remains to the east and south on this line. The stations along this rail line were essential to farmers who lived on the north side of the creek, as the only crossing points are a long way apart. The line closed in 1982 when the second elevator at Sharples owned by Alberta Wheat Pool, built in 1927 by Alberta Pacific Grain Co., was demolished. Although Sharples only had two elevators for many years it handled a remarkable volume of grain. In 1943-44 the Parrish & Heimbecker elevator handled 123,549 bushes.
The names of the elevator agents at Sharples from 1923-1982 are: Tom Heath, H.J. Reeves, Tom Moss? Stoen, D.K. Edmundson, T.G. Cadman, W.B. McCracken, W.C. Robertson.
No information is known about the construction crew. The 30,000 bushel elevator appears to have been clad with metal sheeting when it was constructed in 1923, as were the office and outhouse/storage, built at the same time.
The west annex built c.1939-40 has a 26,000 bushel capacity and contains seven bins. It was probably built as a temporary annex during the war and later licenced as a permanent annex. A second annex was located on the east side. It was smaller, with a capacity of 14,000 bushels. This annex was also built in the early 1940s. The connecting pipe between the elevator and this annex is still in place.

Internal

Status: Status Date:
Active
Abandoned
1986/08/15
1997/04/19
Designation Status: Designation Date:
(not assigned)

Register: N/A
Record Information: Record Information Date:
K. Williams 1990/10/25

Links

Internet:
Alberta Register of Historic Places:
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2020 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility