Logged in as user  [Login]  |
ARHP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Key Number: HS 9441
Site Name: North Power Plant
Other Names:
Site Type: 0307 - Educational: College or University

Location

ATS Legal Description:
Twp Rge Mer
52 24 4


Address: University of Alberta
Number:
Street:
Avenue:
Other:
Town: Edmonton
Near Town:

Media

Type Number Date View
Digital scan of Negative
Digital scan of Negative
Digital scan of Negative
Digital scan of Negative
Digital scan of Negative
Digital scan of Negative
71-R0001-22
71-R0001-23
71-R0001-24
71-R0001-25
71-R0001-26
71-R0001-27
1971/01/01
1971/01/01
1971/01/01
1971/01/01
1971/01/01
1971/01/01
SE corner
SE corner
NW corner
N side
NW corner
Roof from W

Architectural

Style:
Plan Shape: Rectangular
Storeys: Storeys: 2
Foundation: Basement/Foundation Wall Material: Concrete
Superstructure: Undetermined
Superstructure Cover:
Roof Structure: Roof Type: Unknown
Roof Cover:
Exterior Codes:
Exterior: Stepped parapet; diaper pattern two tone brick work; urns at roof line; blind arches at second floor windows.
Interior: N/A
Environment: Neighbourhood: University of Alberta
Condition: Good
Alterations: N/A

Historical

Construction: Construction Date:
Construction Started
Construction ended (delayed by WW I)
1914/01/01
1915/01/01
Usage: Usage Date:
Faculty of Medicine (Anatomy and Physiology
Labs)
Departments of Extension and Electrical
Engineering




Owner: Owner Date:
University of Alberta

Architect: Nobbs & Hyde
Builder: Read
Craftsman: N/A
History: Last section was central power plant for university; west section was divided into Anatomy Lab (north half) and Physiology Lab (south half).
The famous Dr. J.B. Collip (D.Sc. 1924) began his work here in 1915.
Dr. Karl Clark established the first hot-water extraction plant for oil sands in the basement (1923). Dr. R.W. Boyle conducted ultrasonic wave research applied to underwater detection (esp. during WWII). In January 1922 Electical Engineering and Extension Departments moved here. Radio CKUA had studios, 1973: Power Plant closed.
***
Power Plant
The east section of this building was constructed in 1915 as the university's central power plant and is distingushed by its high quality brick work. Extensive use has been made of brick patterning know as diapering and detailing such as urns at the roof line. Dr. Karl Clark conducted Alberta's first oil sands research in the basement of this structure before 1920. A more utilitarian addition to the west later enlarged the power plant. In 1978, it was transformed by Richard Wilkin into a Graduate Students Association Centre. Its interior renovation revolves around a frank use of modern technology such as its many exposed ducts and pipes, emphasized by brightly coloured paint.

Internal

Status: Status Date:
Active
1993/09/28
Designation Status: Designation Date:
Municipal B List

Register: B265
Record Information: Record Information Date:
T. Gilev 1996/03/19

Links

Internet:
Alberta Register of Historic Places:
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2021 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility