Logged in as user  [Login]  |
ARHP
Return to Search Results Printable Version
 





Key Number: HS 9445
Site Name: South Laboratory Building
Other Names: Single Laboratory
South Lab Building
Site Type: 0307 - Educational: College or University

Location

ATS Legal Description:
Twp Rge Mer
52 24 4


Address:
Number:
Street:
Avenue:
Other:
Town: Edmonton
Near Town:

Media

Type Number Date View
Digital scan of Negative
Digital scan of Negative
Digital scan of Negative
Digital scan of Negative
Digital scan of Negative
Digital scan of Negative
71-R0001-15
71-R0001-16
71-R0001-17
71-R0001-18
71-R0001-19
71-R0001-20
1971/01/01
1971/01/01
1971/01/01
1971/01/01
1971/01/01
1971/01/01
Roof from E
SE corner
S side
NW corner
N side
E end

Architectural

Style:
Plan Shape: Rectangular
Storeys: Storeys: 2
Foundation: Basement/Foundation Wall Material: Concrete
Superstructure: Undetermined
Superstructure Cover:
Roof Structure: Mansard 2 Sides
Roof Cover:
Exterior Codes:
Exterior: Stepped parapets; diaper pattern two tone brick work; urns at roof line; blind arches above window.
Interior: N/A
Environment: Neighbourhood: University of Alberta
Condition: Good
Alterations: Additions at west side (1919)

Historical

Construction: Construction Date:
Construction Started
1915/01/01
Usage: Usage Date:
Mineral Engineering
Plant Science Dept. (1918-20)
1915/01/01
1918/01/01
Owner: Owner Date:
University of Alberta

Architect: Nobbs and Hyde
Builder: N/A
Craftsman: N/A
History: First used by Mineral Engineering Department; temporarily used by Plant Science Department (1918-20); used as Dairy Science Labs after 1921 with Agricultural Engineering Department.
RE: South Lab (Also known as Single Laboratory)
1914 - Designed by Nobbs Hyde: plans dated April 17, 1914.
1915 - Extension added during construction: plans and contracts dated June 4-6, 1915.
1915 - Map of campus dated August 1915 shows South Lab among the buildings completed.
1915 - Professor A.E. Cameron's memoirs: Mineral Engineering moved from Athabasca Hall to the South Lab in the summer of 1915.
1919 - Board of Governors approves construction of the 'new' and 'Science' laboratories and an extension to the Engineering Building', which will have a garage at the west end. The President will name the new laboratory building. Plans and contracts are in the Archives.
1919 - Board Annual Report announces construction of an extension to the 'Civil Engineering Laboratories' and 'new laboratory for the Mining Engineering Department and the Department of Agriculture' (North Lab).
1919 - Wop May's aerial photograph of the campus shows the South Lab completed and construction debris around the North Lab. The westward extension of the South Lab is clearly visible.
A side view of the South Lab shows the extension clearly.
1918-20 - Plant Science Department in temporary quarters in South Lab before moving to North Lab in 1920.
1921 - First laboratory classes in Dairy Science, using South Lab.
1921 - Agricultural Engineering Department was 'provided with temporary quarters in a temporary building ...' (in North Lab attached copy).
1936 - Valuation of the building was $82,944 - insured for $24,900, contents for $5,000.

Internal

Status: Status Date:
Active
1993/09/28
Designation Status: Designation Date:
Municipal B List

Register: B266
Record Information: Record Information Date:
T. Gilev 1996/03/19

Links

Internet:
Alberta Register of Historic Places:
Return to Search Results Printable Version



Freedom to Create. Spirit to Achieve.


Home    Contact Us    Login   Library Search

© 1995 - 2021 Government of Alberta    Copyright and Disclaimer    Privacy    Accessibility